Why is the Jerusalem bible so much thicker than other bibles?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • User
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

One of two reasons:

A - you are used to 66-book Bibles, but the Jerusalem Bible (and the New Jerusalem Bible) are Catholic Bibles, with 72 books

B - like most Catholic Bibles, the Jerusalem Bible and New Jerusalem Bible both include extensive notes. Some editions ("pared down") include a relatively small amount of notes, but the "full" editions include VERY extensive notes, amounting to about the same length of text as the Bible text itself, making these Bibles about twice as big as a pared-down Catholic Bible

Indeed, these "full" editions use EXTREMELY thin paper and pretty small print for the notes and STILL end up being about double-size compared to a pared-down Catholic Bible.

Note: the "full" edition New Jerusalem Bible notes are GREAT. VERY scholarly, VERY unbiased, VERY informative. Best Bible I ever read. However: I recommend only to those with an academic bent. I needed to refer to a dictionary several times when reading those notes.

Me: Fundamentalist Christian

• Paul
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

because it includes all the books of the original Bible, including the seven books of God's Holy Word that were trashed by Martin Luther.

• Archer
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

If your a pedophile you will believe she wants your affections.

• 4 months ago

Thicker paper, obviously.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

Thicker paper, larger print, and the likely inclusion of the apocrypha. As a Catholic Bible, it contains 76 Books of the Bible, instead of the Authorized King James Version's 66 Book. 

• 4 months ago

Mine has larger print.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There are more books in the Jerusalem Bible.  The original King James had all the books too, but some of them were in a separate book, deeming them not as sacred as the rest.  Eventually the protestants just did away with these books, while the Catholics kept them.

• 4 months ago

maybe its the way they printed it

• 4 months ago

It's been jizzed on a bunch and that makes the pages swell up .

Playboys acts the same way .

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It has a lot of words in that one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.