Ian asked in PetsFish · 2 months ago

Why does my platy look like this?

Hello! I noticed my new platy is a little chunky. I did some research and I’m wondering is it’s possible that she’s pregnant? I don’t have any other platys of her type in the tank, so I think that if she IS pregnant, it happened at the fish store. I didn’t notice it when I got her, but did after a little while (maybe about a week). I’ve had her for about 1.5-2 weeks now. Is this just how she is shaped or is she in the earlier stages of pregnancy? Thanks!

Platys aren't pregnant for that long, and they can mate with other types of platys. The only difference between different types of platy is the coloring. She either is sick with bloat, or is pregnant. I'd say to keep an eye on her. If she does give birth if you want the baby fish take all the other fish away from them, I mean ALL OF THEM. Of course, you can leave the babies together but if you leave them with the grown fish they will eat them, right after I got 2 platys once one of them gave birth from the pet store and they ate the babies. Good luck. 

• kswck2

Looks like she is pregnant. DO your homework on how to handle her once she gives birth. 

yes she looks pregnant and has a gravid spot.

Yes she could have gotton pregnant at the store, even if it was a long time ago, they can hold on to sperm for quite awhile.

But all platies can mate together, they dont care that some are different colors or have different fins.