Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

consumer unit is full.What to do in this case? ?



What to do in this case? 


no space in the consumer unit to install 10.5kw shower 

The consumer unit is full. 

Can  another consumer unit with a 50amp or even higher amperage, say 63amp be installed for the shower, and then be connected to the main consumer unit?


I'd like to know the answer on yahoo first,for peace of mind.

I'd contact a certified electrician to carry out the work

3 Answers

  • 2 months ago

    Nothing, unless you want to add to it. If it's full it will operate fine as it is. If you want to add to it you can either have a bigger one to replace it or have an additional one put in.  In both cases you need an electrician.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    This is a job you'd HAVE to get a certified electrician (E. 18) if you're in the UK.

    Like all good answers it depends if it's better/more cost effective to upgrade the consumer unit or to split it which will depend on the nature of your property.

    In my case I opted to split the consumer unit (add a baby unit, basically) giving the shower a dedicated circuit protected by its own RCD unit.  

    Neither option was cheap, just to warn you, but it was highly necessary.

    Are you installing from scratch or upgrading a shower? If upgrading make sure the cable is thick enough to handle 10.5 kw (you may need to run a new cable), and if from scratch don't forget that you'll need a 45 amp double pole switch too.

    You can get better, more detailed answers at the forum.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    You can either change the consumer unit, or run in an additional one. Rather depends how much space you have on your distribution board.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.