What should I do? ?

Id already requested a week off work for the end of the month but my family have been ringing holiday places and get anything apart from next week so I have politely asked my boss if I could have that week off and said sorry its short notice baring in mind I haven't had a holiday since August last year so I think I'm well over due one, none of my Co workers will cover me even tho Ive covered for them, I've told him this is the only chance I'm gonna get to have a proper break and he's not understanding about it at all, in one way I just wanna say **** it and go anyway cos I need a break for my mental sanity but on the other hand I can't afford to lose this job without having another one on offer 

What should I do? ? - given we are in the middle of mass unemployment and a pandemic my advice would be to keep your job at all costs.

I'd already requested a week off work for the end of the month - ok but my family have been ringing holiday places and get anything apart from next week so I have politely asked my boss if I could have that week off and said sorry its short notice - ok. So it's not your employer's fault that there are no vacancies. He has already approved  you a week off and it's inconvenient to change it.baring in mind I haven't had a holiday since August last year - well, what was stopping you taking time off earlier? Bear in mind also that since March, most people haven't had any sort of proper break eitherso I think I'm well over due one - classic snowflake line.  I'm sure you do kid! Well, you have a week off later this month. Time to relax then.none of my Co workers will cover me even tho Ive covered for them - ok. That's between you and your coworkers. I've told him this is the only chance I'm gonna get to have a proper break and he's not understanding about it at all - kid, do you realise how the world of work operates? Your employer will give you x number of days off a year. Wherever possible they will grant you the dates you requested.  However, the business still needs to function, so, on occasion, you will find that you can't take the dates you want. This is one such occasion. You had better get used to this, you have another 45 plus years of working life to get through and this will happen again! in one way I just wanna say **** it and go anyway cos I need a break for my mental sanity - another classic snowflake line. You consider leaving a job,  in the middle of a pandemic and with mass unemployment. If you think your mental sanity needs a break now, try losing your job and searching for another, and not being eligible for unemployment benefits because you deliberately left your job and being nagged by your parents for being silly, THEN you will understand what mental sanity means. but on the other hand I can't afford to lose this job without having another one on offer - the one sensible thing you have said.

Suck it up and keep your job.  In this economy, if you lose this job  it could be a year before you find another.  And quitting so you can take vacation is bad form.  As soon as anyone calls for a reference on you they will find out, and you will not get the job.

• R P

Your boss has given you your answer. You are not getting the time off that you requested because you did not give enough notice. Not only that, but you said your co-workers will not cover for you.

So, what you should do is act like an adult and go to work. You will have other opportunities to take a vacation trip.

"he's not understanding about it at all"   Of course he understands.   It's too short of notice and there isn't anyone to cover, therefore your request was declined.   His job is to staff the business. 

You can go to work or you quit, take your vacation and then find another job.

Did it occur to you to ask him WHICH week you could have off and then build your vacation around that?

Decide what's more important...

A vacation or getting FIRED  ? 

• Judy

Sorry, but if there's nobody to cover for you, what do you expect him to do/