Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Tips/advice for US Army APFT?

I am an incoming AROTC scholarship cadet who seeks advice on the APFT. My pushups and situps are not the issue, as I know simply doing more of these daily can help. I am not the best at running at I see that the minimum to pass the 2 mile run (for males) is 15:54. That's a 7:57/mile. What is the best way to train for this run exam? I am in no way trying to shoot for minimums, but that is the goal, for now. I need to pass a record APFT in order to contract. Thank you!

• Mark B

Make sure you have good shoes and a good surface to run on.

Run every day, or at least 6 days a week.

Alternate long distance with speed.

Day 1, 3 miles

Day 2, sprint 1/4 mile, jog 1/4 mile, sprint 1/4 mile, repeat until you do 3 miles

(by sprint I really mean you do it as fast as you can, then jog to catch your breath the next 1/4)

Day 3, 3 miles

Day 4, back to the interval training

Day 5, 3 miles

Day 6, 2 miles - check your time

Day 7, rest

Start back up and do that for 4-6 weeks.

At week 2, increase to 3 1/2 miles

Week 4, increase to 4 miles

Pushups and situps will also strengthen your core which will improve run time.  Don't worry about your time more than once a week until you get to week 4.  Then, track your time consistently

start running 3 to 5 miles everyday