Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 1 month ago

although I'm a guy who uses my debit card for everything, Should I still carry cash?

I don't use cash for weeks at a time. 

• John

I have to agree with the answers which say to carry some cash just in case.  I have gone for long periods without using cash. Twice I went to pay with a debit card, however, only to have the card rejected.  Each time my bank had detected suspicious activity on my account, and canceled the card as a precaution.  I had to visit the bank to get a new card.  Having some cash on hand was helpful in those instances.   

• John P

The choice is entirely yours. Only you know your lifestyle and how annoyed you might be if you were only allowed to pay cash somewhere and thus could not buy what you wanted, or get served, etc. I suppose the likelihood of that these days is remote.

• fcas80

Unless you have transactions that require cash, you can do fine without it.  Some stores have minimum amounts to use a card, maybe a parking meter only accepts cash, etc.

It's entirely up to you. It's a lot easier to get through a toll gate on a turnpike with cash. It's also a lot more efficient to buy something small--i.e., a pack of gum or mints--with cash. But it's your wallet. 

Yes, for small purchases and sellers that do not take debit cards. And (seriously) if you have 0 dollars on you to placate a robber he may take his wrath out on you. 

Yes.  You need something as a backup.  Sometimes cards unexpectedly stop working.  Some places don't accept cards and require cash.

• ted

Do carry some cash whenever you leave home, because systems may be off-line that will prevent your using your debit card.  

Credit card is far more secure. I only use credit cards. Maybe $5-7 in my wallet and a few dollars worth of change in my car.

I always carry some cash. You never know when you might need a bit. I usually have about $50 in my wallet.

• y

There are still places that do not take cards if you can believe it.