Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

My landlord is selling the house. I am renting a room.?

I am renting a room in a house. The owner is selling the house and moving out of state. I have a part-time job and we are in good terms. However, his moving can potentially turn out into a nightmare for me. I have been looking for places and the environment is weird and risky with the COVID 19. We didn't sign any contracts. We have been living together for 4 years with no issues.

What kind of help can be available in my case? I know the government is trying to keep people without moving much because of the virus.

• car253

You are screwed with no contract.  Have the current owner give you a contract before he sells.   Then you may be grandfathered in.   

• L

LOOK FOR ANOTHER PLACE TO LIVE - NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Once the house is sold - I'm sure the new owner is NOT going to want you living there anymore.

The government is NOT trying to keep people without moving much.  All the government has done is suspend evictions for non-payment due to a loss of job due to covid.  Purchase, sales and rentals are doing exactly as they did before covid.  I recently asked a realtor friend who told me she is as busy as ever and that market hasn't changed at all.  If you look, you will find another place.  If there isn't one near you, then you will have to move farther away.  It isn't rocket science.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

You are going to have to be specific as to your location (state) because it MATTERS. Otherwise you are on your own.  You are going to have to get out because people buying the house could be all black, or Hindu or Buddhists or cannibals or native North American Indians.  They are not buying you .  They want the whole house.  You got to expect that. Rent is temporary accommodations.  You rent a hotel room.  You did not buy the hotel. AFAIK cardboard boxes are still available so you can live on the street.  Try to find a basement suite with your own entrance.  How hard is that to figure out.?

You do not have to have a lease to have rights to stay in a room or an apartment that you have been in, as long as you are paying rent on time and as agreed. You are called a "tenant at will". If the new owner is aware of your tenancy, and does not have a problem, then there should be no issue for you until the owner decides what he will be doing with the property--living in it, or continuing with the current arrangement. You should contact him or her and ask about intentions. The previous owner could not have sold the property without disclosing the fact that you live there and rent a room--but if no one informed you about their intentions, you do need to ask. 

No help that will keep you in this place. If you had a written lease for the entire house, the new owner must honor it. Buyers who have another place to live until that contract runs out, or are buying it as a rental, are OK with this.  Buyers are not OK with buying houses they must share with a stranger until the lease expires for the room plus access to other parts of the house, and buyers looking to buy a rental house are not OK with buying what will be, until that room lease expires, a rooming house.

So if your landlord was to write you a lease for the room so that you could stay at least through the expiration, he will make his house VERY difficult to sell.

The COVID moratorium on evictions is ONLY for the financial impact of COVID, no evictions for non payment of rent ONLY.  You can be evicted by the new owner if you refuse to vacate. The only requirement the current or future landlord must follow is in giving you proper notice to vacate according to state law.

• n2mama

The government put a temporary moratorium on evictions due to inability to pay rent because of Covid-19. None of that applies to you or your situation. You are not being evicted, your landlord is ending your tenancy, which he has every right to do. It sounds as though you have been given appropriate notice of the situation, so you need to get packing and find a new place to live. I don’t know what kind of help you thought might be available, the government will not intervene to keep you in your current house with your situation. There also is no special financial assistance for someone in your position, so if you were hoping for something on that front, sorry, but no. 

Your options are to move voluntarily or force your landlord to evict you. Going that route is a bad idea for you. You might delay your physical removal from the property for a short time, but he will win the eviction. This will not only get you removed from the property, it will make it very difficult to rent from a reputable landlord in the future.

Is the new owner going to give you a lease?  If not, then you need to move by the time the sale is final.

The new owner must honor the terms of your lease.

"What kind of help can be available in my case?"   You are an adult.  It is your responsibility to meet your own basic needs such as housing.   If you need extra help, you hire someone.  

"the government is trying to keep people without moving much"   No.  Finding housing is an essential activity and there are no restrictions.  

Time to get busy.   Start packing.