Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

About how much should a plumber charge to replace an average push-down loo handle, which takes 5 minutes?

Please no Americans as I am asking on Yahoo UK

• F

A call out will normally cost about £60, probably more in London.

Fir a very simple job, they may not charge any more but some have a minimum 1 hour labour (another £60), plus the part which will be charged at full rrp , so possibly £20 v the £5 you could get it at somewhere like Screwfix.

So for a job you could do yourself for £5 , you could get a bill for £140!

• ?

If you were a pensioner, I'd say £30 to be fair

• Mr. P

Try Youtube and Ebay in appropriate proportions.

A cool 100 for him wasting his time to do something you could do.  GOD is expensive.

If you can't DIY it, then the plumber deserves every penny, no matter what was charged

In the UK here and for that most plumbers I know wouldn't take the job at all as they have minimum call out fees necessary to make ends meet.  It's not worth their while for the agro.  This is a local handyman job if you really can't do it yourself.

But your question shows up on all English speaking Yahoo...so $65.00.  About 135.  pounds sterling.  You can do it yourself with a $15.00 (about 22.5 pounds sterling) and  15 mins of your time.

He will charge for an hour's work.  Plumbers and other technicians will be broke if they only charge for time spent at work.  And I am from the USA.

• elhigh

This kind of job is what the trip charge is for.  $60-75 where I live, and for little jobs like this that'll cover it.  If the job goes over an hour and starts getting out the real tools, then the meter starts running on the hourly rate.

I'd be pretty annoyed if an able-bodied person called me and asked me to do this.  I'd probably still do it, but I'd drag them into the room and make them watch and learn how to do it, and a couple of other easy bathroom maintenance items too, just to prevent them wasting their money in the future.

[edit]

"Please, no Americans," why not?  The answers should be more or less relevant regardless of where we are.

You don't pay just for five minutes.  You pay for his time to get there (house call) and one hour.  Which varies widely depending on where you live.