Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

How much does it cost to own a horse in Wisconsin?

Whats your average annual cost to own a single horse in Wi? Without a boarding fee? 

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Snezzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It'll cost about the same as anywhere else. If you have plenty of land then you can get by with keeping on pasture and the delusion that the grass is "free" but you will need some proper fencing. If instead you are planning to keep the horse in one or two acres by your house, you'll be buying hay year-round at $7 or $8 a bale or more.

Do not overlook the other expenses, such as the veterinarian and the farrier. The barefoot horse will require a trim every six to eight weeks at perhaps $50 to $100. Shoes would run even more. Veterinary costs depend on what bad things happen, anywhere from $300 per year for exam, coggins and shots, up to several thousand for emergency surgery.

A horse kept alone will worry about where the other horses are. You really should have two or three. Some horses will accept a goat or even a cat as a buddy, but you would need to ask your own horse if such a weird arrangement will work.

We've not touched upon the accouterments such as saddles, bridles, horse trailer, pickup truck, riding instruction, training fees, and attendance at horse shows. We've also overlooked the physical and legal requirements for shelter against the weather. I shan't lecture to you about the Wisconsin Winter, because you have already endured one, I'm sure. Your horse can perhaps live totally outdoors, but you, your friends, and the state or county may have other ideas and you may need to build a shed or a barn.

If you are hoping to ride in the winter or in the rain then you may need to construct an indoor riding arena. The cost could possibly be between $5000 and $100,000 and you would need to do your own research. I certainly won't do it for you.

So there is no average number. It's really up to you to figure it out. As with many other projects, you ought to gather up all the pieces in a list, figure the price for each, add them up, and then TRIPLE THE NUMBER that you get because you have certainly overlooked something. Many somethings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.