Legally how does my outcome look? ?

Not long ago I was involved in a car accident. I was traveling straight through an intersection and the defendant was traveling parallel and attempting to make a left turn, she hit me While turning left on my driver side and I swerved off the road. I expected her to U turn and come to the scene but she left, I called the police and reported a hit and run. The police arrived to the scene with her driving behind, I guess she had gone to pick up her husband and brother? The officer issued her a ticket and we all parted ways. I am now going to court because her insurance denies responsibility because she stated that I ran a red light (which I did not and I wasn’t he one to receive any tickets). Should I be worried? Is there something I should know?

Update:

She did receive a ticket for making an illegal turn 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

What this boils down to is that she said you ran a red light, you say you didn't.  What is the proof for her allegation? I hope you're doing this through your own insurers, they are the ones for fighting on your behalf.

• 1 month ago

Yes, there is something you should know and you should not delay or it may be too late.  Most intersections have cameras and every minute is video-taped.  Request a copy of the video so that you can prove what happened.  If you don't have a lawyer, first, get her to say under oath that you proceeded against a red light.  Then, when you prove otherwise, insist that she is charged with perjury - lying under oath.  I suggest that is you don't want to pay a lawyer, at least get a consultation.  You will gain so much in just one hour.  Be prepared to take notes.  Some lawyers give you the hour's info in writing, others don't.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If what you say is true, it will never see the inside of a courtroom. They are probably hoping you will settle for less. 

The insurance company does not always follow the officer's opinion, the court room almost always does. That is, assuming she got a ticket for failure to yield and not just for leaving the scene. If she didn't get a ticket for failure to yield, you case just got a lot weaker. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

where I'm from, someone going straight has the 'right-of-way' EVEN IF they are running a red light.   AND, if you were she was too !!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.