Legally how does my outcome look? ?

Not long ago I was involved in a car accident. I was traveling straight through an intersection and the defendant was traveling parallel and attempting to make a left turn, she hit me While turning left on my driver side and I swerved off the road. I expected her to U turn and come to the scene but she left, I called the police and reported a hit and run. The police arrived to the scene with her driving behind, I guess she had gone to pick up her husband and brother? The officer issued her a ticket and we all parted ways. I am now going to court because her insurance denies responsibility because she stated that I ran a red light (which I did not and I wasn’t he one to receive any tickets). Should I be worried? Is there something I should know?

She did receive a ticket for making an illegal turn 

What this boils down to is that she said you ran a red light, you say you didn't.  What is the proof for her allegation? I hope you're doing this through your own insurers, they are the ones for fighting on your behalf.

Yes, there is something you should know and you should not delay or it may be too late.  Most intersections have cameras and every minute is video-taped.  Request a copy of the video so that you can prove what happened.  If you don't have a lawyer, first, get her to say under oath that you proceeded against a red light.  Then, when you prove otherwise, insist that she is charged with perjury - lying under oath.  I suggest that is you don't want to pay a lawyer, at least get a consultation.  You will gain so much in just one hour.  Be prepared to take notes.  Some lawyers give you the hour's info in writing, others don't.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Bruce

If what you say is true, it will never see the inside of a courtroom. They are probably hoping you will settle for less. 

The insurance company does not always follow the officer's opinion, the court room almost always does. That is, assuming she got a ticket for failure to yield and not just for leaving the scene. If she didn't get a ticket for failure to yield, you case just got a lot weaker. 

• Rick

where I'm from, someone going straight has the 'right-of-way' EVEN IF they are running a red light.   AND, if you were she was too !!!!