Jane asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Is having pain with braces rubber bands normal?

I have had rubber bands before and had no pain. I have had rubber bands on my braces for the past year. Every time I go to the dentist they would move the rubber bands to a different position. I have never experienced pain with rubber bands before(not even when I first got them) and this time after they moved it to a different position I am experiencing pain in my teeth and getting a headache. Is it normal to experience pain with rubber bands after having rubber bands for a couple of months and not experiencing any pain?

Yep, completely normal!

The rubber bands are pulling your teeth so pain and itchiness are to be expected. The pulling on your teeth is a normal cause for headaches, your teeth might or might not get used to it later on. They might've also used a bigger elastic on the other places therefore making this one hurt and not the others.

Yes, its common to experience pain or headaches with rubberbands. Especially if they moved them to a different position and you're not used to it yet. Personally when I had rubberbands it didn't even matter how long I'd have them in one position, I had headaches no matter what and never got used to them.