I am 72 and a widow.  i receive a portion of my husband's pension, and my own social security.  Do I have to file taxes?

It depends on things we don't know about you. My federal retirement annuity survivor benefit would be taxable to my wife at the federal level, but not at the state level. However, one half of her SS plus the survivor's annuity would be below the $25,000 a single person can have before any of their SS is taxable, and the annuity would be below the income level that triggers a filing requirement. She would not have to file.

Again, we don't know anything about your situation.

• L

It depends on how much you receive from your husband's pension.

Does your husband's pension already deduct taxes?  If you receive,

less than, $1,000 a month - then tell the pension people to NOT deduct

the taxes and you won't have to file for a refund.

• John

Seniors who get a pension and social security are not automatically exempt from filing a tax return.  Whether you must file will depend on the amounts you receive.

With rare exception, the pension funds are taxable.

The amount of income from that pension, plus any other sources you haven't' mentioned may also result in a portion of your SS benefit being taxable.

If your total taxable income exceeds the filing requirement for your status then you must file a return.

If you are not required to file a return but you had taxes withheld from the pension benefits, or if you qualified for the stimulus payment but didn't receive it, then you would want to file a return because you'd get a refund - even though you would not be legally required to do so.

It depends--you get SS, and you get a pension--and it will depend on what the total is for the year. If you see that the pension has deducted federal tax, you may want that refund, if they took out enough. Some pensions are taxable some are not. 

• NA

As others have said, how much of each?  Do you have any tax-exempt income such as interest from municipal bonds? There is a formula that determines how much, if any of the SSA benefits are taxable.

• Bill

I depends on how much income you have. The answer is probably yes. I have a pension and SS and I have to pay tax and file a tax return. 

Maybe.

How much of each do you get?

You didn't give enough information for anyone to know.

How much is your income?

😄 No.

You only file taxes if you work and make over $10,000 a year.