Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why is chicken breast so expensive for chicken teriyaki ?

I’m trying to make chicken teryiki and it looks like it’s gonna cost an arm and a leg 

Chicken teriyaki is better with chicken thighs. 

It's not an arm and a leg--it's a breast. Yes, it's expensive. All meats have gone up in price since the pandemic. Suppliers are short of help and supplies. 

Here's a thought--go to Costco and buy one of their rotisserie chickens--it's an ENTIRE chicken and it's still only $5. You can use the breast meat for your teriyaki, and the rest for chicken salad, chicken and noodles, or whatever else you want. It's always cheaper to buy whole bone-in chickens. Buying boneless, skinless breasts are great, but not necessary. And they cost more. 

Find a different brand or grocery store.  You're getting scammed a bit. In many places you can get chicken breasts for about $3-4/pound.  

All skinless chicken breasts are fat-free.  Chicken feed is plant-based.  Even "free range" simply means the birds were allowed to walk around for 40 minutes a day, not that they are actual ranging free all the time. Almost all brands of chicken have a hormone and antibiotic free product.  Those are the things you want to be concerned about.  

I don't know why it is so freakin' expensive, I guess it is because it is the part with the least bone and the clearest meat, but frig, buying it means a new mortgage on the house. I generally go with the thigh. It seems to be cheaper and I think it has a bit more flavor. Keep in mind tho, it is fattier, so you will have to take that into consideration.

Chicken breast is more expensive, but less tasty, than thigh. You don't need chicken breast. 

• kswck2

Chicken is the most inexpensive met. Just wait for it to go on sale. 

• denise

Buy boneless chicken thighs instead, they work as well and retain moisture.

• Anton

Boneless skinless chicken breast, From Publix,$5.53/lb.

Boneless skinless chicken breast, From Superior, $1.69/lb

Chicken breast is *NOT* expensive.

Buying chicken from Publix is expensive.

That you are too stupid to shop other stores is not my problem.

geez, how many people are you feeding if the breasts will cost an arm and a leg...lol In my local grocery store (hy-vee_ split chicken breast is 97 cents a pound....

Meat in general is expensive due to covid outbreaks at processing plants, but you can find much better deals on chicken than that.   Chicken and turkey are typically much cheaper than red meat.