Harvey asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Who should pay these dog Vet' bills?

We went camping with another family and they brought their 9 year old rescue poodle. Our daughter was holding it when the dog jumped to the ground and broke it's leg. They never told my daughter that the dog was not to be held, she was one of about 5 kids who held the dog daily. 

They decided to get $5,500.00 surgery and now want half from us. Should we pay?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I would allow for a court to decide.  How many people has this dog rescued?  Dogs are very deceitful.  And most of the owners have contacted rabies and are brain dead.,  Let's see if the owner is still cognitive.  And, have your child checked for rabies.  The crazed dog jumped out of her arms and broke a leg?  What would happen in a rescue.  The dumb dog would most likely jump off a cliff.

• 1 month ago

Children should never be allowed to pickup or carry small dogs for this reason.   They arent teddy bears!

You should pay at least half

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ask a lawyer. Instead of getting random guesses on a dog forum from unqualified people.

• 1 month ago

You are both equally responsible.  THEIR dog was HURT due to the actions of YOUR DAUGHTER, not anybody else.  The dog was hurt from the fall while she HELD it; not from being handled by multiple people.  YOU ALLOWED your child to pick up and hold (and her to drop, or she allow the dog to jump out of her arms. - (This was TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE and  INAPPROPRIATE handling.)  "You break it; you buy it" APPLIES just like it would in a furniture or jewelry store.

I will bet dollars to donuts, this JUMP of FALL did not happen with anybody else, or at such a height or onto the same surface.  FYI: Most dogs DO NOT LIKE being PICKED UP!The dog's owners have the right to SUE you, if you do not pay - and if you loose (very likely, IMO) you will OWE COURT COSTS as well as at least half the vet bill, so ask to see the RECEIPT for proof of the total charges, and then PAY UP half.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's their responsibility to supervise their dog.   If they left it with a pack of children, that's on them.

That being said, it's your responsibility to supervise your child.   You and she ought to know not to pick up someone else's dog without permission.    Neither of you bothered and the result was a $5500 vet bill.  

Honestly?   I'd probably cough up half as there was wrongdoing on both sides.

LOL...we always say camping ends up being more expensive than we think it should be.   Be glad the dog didn't try to eat your daughter's face when she picked it up. 

Lv 7
    1 month ago

How old is your daughter? In general, if your kid causes damage to someone's property, you pay to fix it or replace it. 

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Nobody harmed the dog let them sue you. They can't prove any damages were caused by your daughter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.