Zachary asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog won’t go on walks in the heat?

I have a Pitbull/boxer mix puppy. He is about 5 months and I know that this breed needs a ton of exercise. The only problem is that it is very hot right now where I live and he refuses to go on walks in the heat. He will just sit and not walk. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

And many don't want to. There are a lot of dogs that absolutely HATE the heat, and whether they hate it or not, many slow down during the hottest parts of the day. Heat can knock out even the most hyper of dogs. 

I take my pup out at 6am. He gets a good long 45 minute walk/jog. Sometimes, and ONLY sometimes, he will get another one in the afternoon, but it's a 5 minute quickie with his paws on as much grass as I can. Some people will take out their dogs early in the morning and later in the evening, but he's never been big on evening walks, so I don't bother. I just toss his toys outside in the grass and he goes nuts. Anything over 90 degrees, I don't take him out on the pavement, period.

Dogs run hotter than humans. I just use this calculation: 80 to us means it feels like 90 to them, and so on. So you have to be very careful when it's hot outside and handling your dog. And that doesn't include the pavement. 80 outside could make the pavement feel like 100. 90 degrees, 115 on the pavement. Do you want to walk barefoot on that? Neither does your dog. I know their pads are made of tougher stuff, but that doesn't mean they are 100% immune to burns and dryness.

Try a kiddie pool in the backyard; introduce him to water games. Always make sure he has shade and fresh water. Your dog may NEED exercise, and there are plenty of ways to do this on the grass or in your home, but what they DON'T need is exposure to severe heat. 

• Jojo

If he don't wanna go walkies in the heat, then don't force him. Dogs instinctively know what is best for them. The heat won't last forever.JMO.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years UK

It might be the cement  or the road is to hot to walk on

Go in the early ("dark-thirty") or shortly after sunrise time frame.  It is the COOLEST it will be all day.  NEVER walk the dog on a dark surface like asphalt (too hot for paws and can burn them.)  Try to walk or take the dog to a GRASSY surface.  Wet the dog down BEFORE you start on a walk -with your outdoor hose.  We do this with our sporting dogs & they stay COOLER longer, when wet.  Be sure to wet the underside of the dog, as well as some on top.

High energy dogs also BENEFIT from mental stimulation and indoor games.  Look into various scent games or nose-work which can be done inside, or out.

• Maxi

Take it out before it gets hot and after it cools down........... so early morning, and evening

• y

Go in the early morning or late at night. Also ensure that where you are walking, like n asphalt, isn't burning their feet and such. It's too hots for my Lab/hound mix right now, So. I'm not worrying about it.