Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 3 months ago

Will my son ever get his citizenship?

I sponsored him to come to the USA almost two years ago. I used my Veteran clout and wrote two congressmen to get some help. It also helped that at the time I started the paperwork (nearly three years ago) he was able to qualify as a refugee.  

It took a lot of work, but I was able to get him a visa before the formal adoption. He arrived in time to attend high school as a freshman. 

I had a lot of help from a judge as well.

The adoption was finally completed last March.  

The USCIS is tied up due to COVID 19.  I have only the letter signed by a judge to prove that I am his father.  He is still a citizen of Myanmar (Burma) until the USCIS is off furlough.  He holds a Green card in his birth name, but I was able to get him a state ID in his new name by court order.  How will this affect his earning a scholarship?

My wife is very worried because she wants him to go to UCLA on a scholarship.

I greatly simplified my description of the events.  It did take nearly three years for him to come live with us.  While he was still in Myanmar my wife and I sent him clothing, and paid for him to get English coaching as well as to go to computer camp.  

He just started his Sophomore year online.  He already has a girlfriend.

Both his mother and I earned scholarships. We did not pay for our education. We paid almost nothing. I got mine though the VA (because I got shot at back in 1991). He is an "A" student. He dreamed of going to UCLA.  His biological grandfather made me promise that he will have the opportunity.

I forgot to mention that I hired a great lawyer. She did a good job.

• Foofa

You seem to acknowledge that the USCIS is tied up with the same thing the rest of the world is so you know this isn't some plot against you and that eventually your son will be able to naturalize. If he holds a valid green card it's not like he's at risk of deportation. If your family are residents of California there'd be very few state scholarships he wasn't eligible to apply for. Also In this state he could get grants even if he were here illegally. 

You have already received extraordinary consideration in sponsoring a minor-child immigrant, getting him admitted to US on a visa when you had not already completed the adoption of him. He currently holds a green card, proof that he is a legal permanent resident. 

US citizens and legal permanent residents are eligible for financial aid under FAFSA, depending on the parents' earnings, etc. You will have to file FAFSA, same as all other parents, and this child must qualify for financial aid, including scholarships, on the same basis as all other US citizens & legal permanent residents.

What makes you think this child can even get accepted to UCLA? Have you studied the school's website to determine qualifications to apply for admission, apply for financial aid, etc? Have you examined statistics of previously accepted students - GPA, test scores, etc. - to see how your son's performance compares with UCLA students, and whether he might have the slightest chance of acceptance? Very, very few UCLA applicants are accepted, maybe 10% (look up more precise figures), so your son might have no realistic chance of acceptance AND succeeding at such a highly competitive university. What makes you think this child WANTS to go to UCLA, and that UCLA is the most appropriate university for him considering his intended major field of study, qualifications, etc? Or is your wife wanting "bragging rights," even if setting up this child for failure at an extremely tough school? It's up to you and your SON to determine whether he wants to go there, and whether he has realistic chances of getting accepted & succeeding in such a highly competitive environment. We have no idea what this boy's qualifications might be.

Also consider that you sponsored an immigrant, and are legally liable for his total support. And consider that 80% of American citizens going to college WORK to pay at least part of their school and/or living expenses.

As for processing delays due to covid, everybody is in the same mess, and everybody has to be patient. There hasn't been a pandemic to this extent in a century.

Have you contacted your US senator and representative for help. They usually can be helpful in adding a new voter to the rolls.