How do i use my current HDD in new pc?

I plan on getting a new pc with a new ssd for windows. I wanna use my current hdd just for the files in D and E drives. Is it possible to use the hdd in new system if i just format the old windows (C drive of HDD) as i dont wanna loose the data in D and E partitions of HDD. I dont have access to an external hdd to back up data.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

If you are getting a laptop, you can not move the old HDD into it.  No room inside the case.  You would need to get an USB HDD enclosure.  It is a small case that you put the old HDD into and then it connects to the laptop by a USB cable.  It will act exactly the same as if the HDD is inside the case.  They usually run in the $30-$50 range.

If you are getting a desktop, it will depend on the size of the case.  Most PCs today are either "small form factor" or "micros".  Meaning that the case is only big enough to hold the devices that come with it.  A small form factor may allow you to add a graphic card, but usually not a second HDD.  A micro will usually not let you add anything.  You would need to use a USB enclosure, same as you would with a laptop. 

If you purchase a computer with a full size case or a tower case, you would have the room to add the HDD into it as a second hard drive.  Open the case, mount it into one of the open bays, connect two cables and it is ready to go.  You can also elect to use an enclosure instead.

Keep in mind that the HDD you are moving over is already several years old.  Most have a life expectancy of about 3 to 5 years.  No telling how soon the drive may fail.  You would probably be better off purchasing a new (external or internal) HDD then reusing the old one for anything critical.

You are correct that you should be able to install the drive (or attach through an enclosure), make sure that it is accessible, and then remove the windows partition without harming the information of the D or E partition of the drive.

Keep in mind that if you have an programs installed on the D or E partitions of the HDD, they will not work once you move the drive over.  They will have to reinstalled.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

just connect the old hard disk in the new PC

the computer will show the extra drives

then format the old C drive

• 1 month ago

For the last ~20 years stuff in a Windows environment has been plug and play. Your new machine should recognise the old HDD.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.