Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Could someone help me understand this paragraph ?

“Whatever its grounding in material, economic developments, and in political and social movements, the concept of civilization in the last analysis emerges out of a changed consciousness and the enlightened human desire to know itself in its most evolved form.”

What does “it’s grounding in material” mean ? I also don’t understand “out of a changed consciousness” and “the enlightened human”

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It means if you want to look to the past, vote Republican, and if you want to look to the future, vote Democrat.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Whatever the concept of civilization's grounding in material, economic developments, and in political and social movements, in the last analysis the concept of civilization emerges out of an developed awareness and the human desire to know itself in its most evolved form.

• blu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As others have pointed out, the author uses way too many words to say very little poorly. I wouldn't overthink this. He's discussing how the concept of civilization developed. That's what I would take and move on. Hopefully, you don't have to put up w/ much more of this.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I am a well educated USA born and lived, retired from a project management career involving people of many countries and the paragraph is over-written and difficult to understand, and not even true. There is an idiom called double-talk or doublespeak that you can look up. Paragraph is similar.

grounding = foundation, basis, core principles

material = physical, goods, supplies. Or, it can also mean facts, information, ideas that are most important. Author made a poor choice of word.

changed consciousness = changed awareness and way of thinking. changes in perception.

enlightened = more aware, more knowledgeable, more developed and modern

A paragraph like this is better understood as a flow of words instead of phrases. If you look closely, it is one sentence. 

This is the core of the sentence:

concept of civilization = social order, living in groups 

first words before this mean instead "Besides (or regardless of) typical social order reasons and structures of societies" 

The exact words of it are a thought instead of specific communication.

last analysis = the information presented before this sentence

"emerges" = comes from, and the rest of it is-

people trying to be god-like in thinking, ethereal, more aware, Zen Buddhism, spiritualism, Hinduism, a higher state of being

Just take each of these words and use it as one thought.

The entire sentence then means:

Whatever social order comes from desire to be ethereal. 

I question the usefulness of the entire book or article this sentence is from.

I am far too pragmatic and proof oriented and dismiss conspiracy theories in the same way as someone making up something about a desire to be in a higher order.

The basis of civilization is efficiency. It allows each person to do certain tasks such that all people, as a whole, accomplish more. If we each have to gather and prepare our own food and create our own homes and do all the things it takes to live, we would be isolated individuals in our own little worlds without civilization. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

"grounding" = what you are basing your idea of civilisation on.

out of a changed consciousness”  = people thinking differently about how they want to live

"enlightened human desire" = to work out how to make the best of the situation they are in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.