Should all semi autos, including handguns be outlaws ?

According to my teacher Semi autos didn’t come out for the civilian market till after the viatnam war, they’re way beyond the scope of the second amendment. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Here is the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution (from the Bill of Rights)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

and do you know what "semi-automatics" are? It is just a weapon where if you pull the trigger one time you fire one bullet and another round goes into the chamber...ready and waiting until the trigger is pulled again.

I believe that rifles (semi automatic) being owned by the American people is necessary for the freedom of this country...contrast that with Russia...they don't care if the people own handguns now...because handguns have very short range...vs. a rifle which can engage targets 300 meters away (or further even)---in other words if the CITIZENS have rifles they can engage and fight against their own government...if it becomes tyrannical...

governments have become tyrannical in the past! MANY OF THEM! in fact the #1 cause of death by citizens throughout history is that their own governments killed them.

in summary I believe your teacher is a fool and I am all for the free citizens of the USA to own as many guns as they want - especially rifles with long range - to stop the wanna be tyrants - even the traitors within our own government.

• rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your teacher doesn't now anything about firearms. Semi-auto pistols were available long before the great depression. Probably a generation or two before he was born.

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

The scope of her curriculum is contained in his or her class text book. Her, his opinions and ignorance of history should be kept to his or her self.

The scope of the 2nd amendment is crystal clear. Available firearms, whatever they may be.

• 1 month ago

technology changes.  semi automatic rifles didn't exist in the Civil War.  the point of the Second amendment is to give the civilians [the militia] a reasonable change to fight off an upstart military force proposing to seize power.  In this day and age, that requires semi-automatic weapons.  Your teacher's "analysis" completely missed the purpose of the Second Amendment ... I'd recommend that s/he return to school to learn it, but that, fairly obviously, didn't work the first time so there's no reason to suppose it would this time either

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • James
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In my opinion, yes, all semi-autos should be banned.

• 1 month ago

Your teacher is wrong.  Semi automatice rifles and shotguns have been available since 1900.  The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is to allow the people to defend themselves and means having weapons comparable to what the military has.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like your teacher is an idiot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.