Do you think it's wrong to ask about job pay before you interview?

I got a callback from an application that I put in about scheduling an interview.  The ad hadn't mentioned pay.  I asked the guy calling about what I could expect, and he said he preferred to discuss pay in person following the interview process.  I declined the interview because I didn't want to waste my time with all of that just to find out the pay's not what I'm looking for.

Do you think my attitude is wrong?

It would be nice to know at least a pay start when applying. When I see that there isn't a pay scale I'm leary. They gonna go for experience and the cheapest to hire. I think its rather unprofessional not to state pay. Id research companies and their overturn rates.  I've been to interviews when they ask what kinda pay I'm looking at and I'm honest. i say: something that is conducive to my experience and what is fair to the job ill be handling.

• L

If you feel this way - you'll probably NEVER get an interview for a job.  Good luck.

• Jane

Your response suggests to the interviewer a lack of confidence in negotiating pay as well as poor motivation for the job- this is how they will tend to take it.

I'd say it's less of an attitude problem on your part, more that you haven't had this experience before and didn't know how to handle it.

As it is not uncommon for wages to be settled following interview, be prepared for next time 1.Research the sector and type of position in your geographical area, to get a broad idea of pay expectations. Also research the company to find out what other positives there might be eg. progression opportunities, reputation etc that may be of value to you and your career. 2.This research will place you in a good position to negotiate your salary at interview. To strengthen your position, try to evaluate your skill-set and offer/value to the company. Remember that many companies will want to know what you have earned in previous jobs if you have relevant experience elsewhere, and will not tend to take seriously a figure that is way above this for your first position with them ( this is why progression is so important). Bring all this together, and establish an absolute bottom line that you will not go below.3. Prepare for the interview by putting together a business case for why they should employ you- what value do you bring to the company, and what evidence can you provide using examples?

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/...

Best luck with your future job hunting

No, you could ask HR if it's in the range your making now. The opening you've applied for has what's called a 'job description' with a 'set range' of pay on a hard copy. The 'guy calling' probably has no authority to nail it down exactly because he has to follow company policy with an interview first. Bypass him. I've done this before by talking with HR and it saved me time,.... if the money was less. There's a lot of good workers like yourself that aren't interested in wasting their time. I understand that, 'cause I'm  one too! In the 'old west days' when boomers worked, companies didn't have narrow ranges of pay like they do today unless you were on a union scale. You could negotiate salaries all over the place and get it. Another freedom that has been taken away.

chances are they wont mention the pay till the end of the interview , seems your only in it for the money . good luck if you get another interview .

Yes,

you go to the interview, once they offer you the job THEN you ask how much it pays.

I had a boss once who said that probably half the people who applied for a job could do that job.  So then the question is, should we pay a premium to hire a person who will be truly excellent at the job and pay a premium salary for her or should we just get someone who will be quite capable and pay less?

• Eva

ALWAYS a bad idea to ask about money before you've interviewed. I guarantee that the interviewer doesn't want to waste their time either.

Yes, it's wrong. You should have gone to the interview and asked about pay after you had done your best to impress. If you didn't want the job AFTER that, you could have declined then. Not showing up for the interview or declining it is not a professional way to act. No one is that valuable as a prospective employee. 

Sorry--don't mean to be harsh--but it wasn't a good way to handle this. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • You should ask but you can also look up pay rates, for the position you're applying to so you don't have to ask. 

But you should get that info in an interview, if you refuse it you don't know what you could be getting payed or what to expect with the job.