How can people think that The Lord of the Rings novels are boring?

I hear many people say that The Lord of the Rings bores them. Yet LOTR has plenty of action packed scenes in it. I understand if people are busy, and they have little or no time to read it. The content is the opposite of boring in my view. Despite it's length, it held my attention all the way through. I'm wondering why some people find this story boring? 

Leading experts in literature https://bestbookawards.org.uk/

I loved the LOTR books so much that I read them slowly so I wouldn't finish them too fast. But, despite how well they were done, I found the movies kind of boring. It was like watching a video game -- we're going to go here and beat this boss, then go somewhere else and beat that boss, etc. The movies didn't capture my imagination the same way the books did. We all respond differently to what we read, which is why we are fortunate to have so many books out there for different literary tastes.

Different people have different tastes.

Obviously, they wouldn't be so popular if not for so many people who enjoy reading them. The trilogy has been a best-seller at least as far back as the 1960s. Personally, I find the author's ideas very good but I can't say that I like his prose. That's just me. 

Perhaps these readers have no active imagination and prefer to read books on Accountancy or Insurance Policies!

• Zac Z

Hang on, how can you assess the LotR novels if an hour later you ask a question about them and write:

"I will probably pickup the fellowship tomorrow. I read the hobbit as a kid and can't remember if the following trilogy was also meant for younger readers."

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20200...

Looks like you're lying to us which isn't exactly a polite thing to do.

If you had read the books as you claim here you'd know that "Fellowship" has quite a slow start. Also what Captain Matticus has said: the poems and songs aren't everybody's cup of tea and can be a turn-off.

The story picks up speed when the hobbits and Aragorn are attacked on the Weathertop, IMHO.

It's true that many people say that "Fellowship" has a slow start but I haven't heard many people say that all the books are boring. Are you sure these "many people" whom you've heard "say that The Lord of the Rings bores them" were indeed talking about all novels?

• Andrew

You're young, so you haven't gained enough knowledge and experience about the world to understand how or why people enjoy and appreciate things that you don't. When you're five years old it seems incomprehensible that a person doesn't like fish fingers and chips. When you're ten years old it's unfathomable that somebody doesn't like cartoons. 

Now you're in your twenties and find it impossible to wrap your head around the fact that someone disagrees with you and says that a book you think is engaging and interesting is actually boring and tedious. The answer to your question is that not everyone is the same, we all have different preferences and opinions, and that's part of what makes life interesting. If you're on the right track in life, you'll eventually realise that what other people like and dislike doesn't matter. 

There are more books out there than any of us will ever be able to read in a lifetime, so it's silly to get worked up over strangers criticising what you like. You might as well wonder why some people don't like Chicken Vindaloo or symphonic black metal or base jumping. What difference does it make what other people like? Life is short, concentrate on what makes you happy.   

• Elaine

Each and everyone of us has an idea of what makes a story interesting.  Sometimes the interest is dependent on the age in which we read the story.  Sometimes it can be due to the plot, characterization, genre, etc..  When I read "The Name of the Rose" I had to slog through the first 100 pages before I became interested in the story. 

• Be honest, Fellowship is hard to get through the first time.  Every 3 or 4 pages, Tolkien breaks into some 1 or 2 page poem that fits well with the story, provided you know the stories of the Silmarillion.  But if you haven't read that, then those poems really kill the flow of the story and it makes the reading tedious.  Whenever I reread LotR, I usually just skip over those songs and poems, and it makes the reading a lot more pleasant.