Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Would you let your friend and her family with a baby to live in your house for a month and pay their bills or it is too much?

• Lisa
    Favorite Answer

It depends upon the circumstances and it depends upon the people.  You could easily be putting yourself in a situation of being used and taken advantage of.  On the other hand, this could be a beautiful opportunity to help someone in need.  None of us know the people involved.  Only you do.  So ask yourself these sorts of questions:

1) Why are these folks homeless?  Did they make mistakes that led them to being in this predicament?  For instance, did they have the money for rent but chose to spend it on other things like drugs or alcohol or clothes they didn't really need?  Don't help folks like that.  They have lessons they need to learn, and your helping them will get in the way of that learning.  On the other hand, if your friend and members of that family were working but, do to the pandemic they lost their jobs and are actively looking for new ones, then it could be they just need a little temporary help.

2) What guarantees do you have that they will move out at the end of the month no matter what the circumstances are?  Are they willing to put it in writing?  If they aren't, then don't let them into your house.  Give them some money if you must, but if they move in and refuse to move out, it will be very difficult to eject them.

3) If you let them live in your house for free, what are they going to do in return?  Minimally, they should be keeping the house spotlessly clean and cooking you your meals in return.  Are they willing to do this?

It is great to be kind to others, but you need to act intelligently for yourself, too.  Having a honest, down to earth conversation with them about what you expect and what you need from them is the way to go.  If they refuse to what you require, then don't let them in.

Good luck to you!

I am in the process of setting my house to be able to do that one day in the far future if it is needed. I have taken people in before where I used to live, but not a whole family. Not currently in the position to do this and it would cause a fight too with my family. So if it were just me, yes. If it's me and my family, no...not at this time. I'd help them find resources they need.

Much too much. But I'd let them pitch a tent in the back yard and give them a port-a-potty.