I need help with a particular question?

Which of the following is a matter of choice? 

1) One's Skin Tone

2) One's sexual preference 

3) One's religious affiliation 

4) All of the above 

5) None of the above 

Is the answer All of the above? I feel as though 2 and 3 is a person's choice. I don't know about skin tone.... Does it mean getting tanned, by choice???

• John P

Not No.1 - though try telling that to a tanning studio!

Possibly not No.2, though some people would disagree. 

No.3 is definitely a choice.I am a little surprised that you could not work that out for yourself. What sort of society have you grown up in?

1. You can’t change the fact you were born a particular colour but you can change the colour. If you consider short term. It’s physically possible to choose to change your skin tone to some degree by sitting out in the sun, cosmetic procedures (it can be a choice if you have money - think Michael Jackson), staying indoors, getting sick, going to Antarctica. 

2. Can you choose what you like/prefer? To some degree. You can choose to do things that will affect the outcome for example exposure, experimentation, being around support or influencers, particular media sources, communities. 

3. To some degree. You can’t change your upbringing which affects what and how you think. But over time, you can choose whether or not to believe what you were taught as a child. Choose to challenge your beliefs. Sometimes, what you are taught as a child is deeply ingrained in the mind and it is difficult to change.   

You can make choices that can affect all the above. 

I say all the above to some extent. 

Obviously #4. Coppertone can change skin tone. Sexual preference is decided when one becomes aware. So,4 is the answer.

3) One's religious affiliation.

probably the 2nd and 3rd one

1.  - skin tone refers to what nature gave you - are you white - black - .....you can't change that.  (tanning doesn't count)

2.  Sexual preference is a chemical reaction in the brain.  You can't change what you are "wired" to like.  Contrary to what some people might say or believe - being gay or lesbian is how the person's body chemistry designed them to be.  They are naturally attracted to their own gender.

3.  Religious affiliation CAN BE CHANGED.  You do have the choice to decide what you want to believe.  That doesn't mean other people of that faith will accept you if the faith is also deeply ingrained into a certain culture - but you can still make a choice in what you believe.

4.  - is wrong because you can't change your skin tone or your sexual preference.

5 - is wrong because you CAN change your religious affiliation.  

I think two and three are a choice. I think skin tone is given at birth genetically