Christine asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

What is the right way to set my bike up?

With balls of feet touching floor while sitting on the saddle or the heel to peddle method where your not able to touch the floor?

Lol! 😂 Ok guys! I get it. I didn't notice I wrote peddle. 😂😂😂

• D50

The variety of frame designs today makes the old top-tube clearance rule obsolete. Go with the slightly bent leg on the pedal rule to start with and adjust from there. I'm comfortable with being able to sit on the saddle and balance with a toe. Not everyone is.

Bike fit = standing over top tube of bike lift bars with 1-2"  front wheel off ground without touching crotch

Saddle height = when seated. Pedal at lowest. Place foot on pedal with knees slightly bent. (not completely straight, not bent too much)

Its is best stand with both feet on ground when stopped. (if wanted, lower seatpost slightly to have one tip-toe on ground, with bike slightly slanted. To maintain seated) 

As my nuts remember very well from my last purchase, about an inch under your crotch to the frame when standing flat footed.

Watch this YouTube video.  Even a 13 year old girl know how to do it right.  When stopping, you slide OFF the saddle & straddle the bike.  Your feet should NOT be able to touch the ground while seated.  And it's a PEDAL, not a peddle. 

https://youtu.be/9XVWeZgcskU

Youtube thumbnail

While seated, your feet should not be able to touch the ground.  Maybe by the tip-toes...maybe.  Place the ball of your foot on the center of the pedal. In the 6 o'clock pedal (not peddle) position, your knee should have a slight bend.  Or, (and don't ride this way) with the heel of your foot centered on the pedal, in the 6 o'clock position, your leg should be straight.  

Peddle is to sell a product, idea or service.  In the pic below, the young lady peddles her flowers which have petals.  Bicycles have pedals.    

You should be able to touch the ground with both your feet at the same time. Watch the Tour de France and look at the riders when they’re just resting.