Is atheism the ultimate act of the uncommitted?

Does Saying "I lack a belief in God" just mean you have a great big empty space in you that most people fill with  a Deity?

Not really. The space you imagine, gets filled one way or another if it is a need. There are multiple Gods/Goddesses as well as philosophies to fill that type of need, where not everyone will have the need (if you can call it that). I would be more inclined to call those types of "needs" addictions that spawn hopefully a joyful fantasy, though I have seen them spawn agony as well.

We're basically talking about a serious game of make believe for the sake of our own feelings, which is why not everyone has that specific desire in order to spice up their life and "feel" better. Mere exercise can make you feel better as can just enjoying the majesty of nature as in taking in a sun rise or sun set, catching a wave, climbing a mountain, snow/water skiing, etc. If anything, active people experience greater highs than spiritual people because the mind and body are all connected.

In the actual scheme of things, the time wasted on Deities or other spiritual philosophies can be used to grow in areas that could potentially be more fulfilling and rounding you off as an individual. Looking at my Christian sister, she has more of that empty space that you refer to than I do as an atheist because she is somewhat mentally challenged. I don't mean mentally challenged because she is a christian, but literally in a medical sense, mentally challenged. I find much more meaning and understanding of her christian religion than she ever will. However, it is because of my intelligence and curiosity of the world, that the christian religion by itself is crippling, leaving a person to live in a tiny bubble if that is all they had. Using your terminology, leaving the person with a much larger space to fill.

Religions in general are for the lazy or intellectually challenged but are not usually taken alone. Most religious people do fill that empty space by incorporating much more than religions have to offer, where religions become more like comfort food to go along with the rest of their diet.

It is from the perspective I laid out above that makes those christians believing not sharing their belief leaves a void to be filled rather childish or if you prefer, immature or at least lacking the knowledge to understand why that cannot be the case.

• Phil M

I don't feel that I have some emptiness that I need to fill. Seems to me that religious people need something extra to feel whole.

Nope. I merely reject the claim of supernatural deities unless/ until there is extraordinary evidence otherwise.

I'm British.  When I first saw a foreign banknote I noticed there was a blank frame on it, which is actually to show the watermark.  Since the UK is a monarchy, I thought the blank frame was supposed to symbolise the fact that the country in question was a republic - had no queen or king, hence the empty frame.  This is of course incorrect.  Same with atheism.  Atheists are not centred on the idea of God with the exception of the occasional proselytising anti-theist atheist, and they feel no lack of that kind in their lives, or they see us theists as having a coping mechanism for what they see as the truth that there is no God.

Unlike Theists, we fill that hole with reality instead of make believe and fantasy fiction characters.

What do you fill the hole in you that Lacks Belief in Leprechauns, Werewolves, Vampires, Flying Pigs??

I like filling my "empty space" with three things:  love, curiosity, and empirically-determined facts.  (Sorry to disappoint you.)

• Paul

Atheism isn't an "act". It is simply ignorance of a specific reality.

• Caesar

Atheism is just the ultimate act of honesty, we must admit that religions are a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality and the very idea of gods is a product of the human imagination. If some theists got some imaginary empty space is their problem Gee Zeus they got thousands of gods to fill the imaginary emptiness.

No, I fill that space with reason and knowledge.  You fill it with belief in stories about magical fairies.

Nice of you to admit you have an empty space inside you fill with a deity.  Not being hollow and shallow,  I as an atheist don't have that empty space to fill like you do with comforting myths..