Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do you train your pet dog to to be friendly towards  other dogs? ?

I have a 3 month old Dachshund and want him to be friendly towards my roommate chihuahua. Dachshund doesn't mind the chihuahua but when the chihuahua tries to play fight with him the dachshund gets in attack mode. Any help? 5 days since moving in. Tons of walk in the park but they seem like they just ignore each other

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you do not have the knowledge to train the dog yourself then you book dog training classes and pay to learn..... you have chosen a breed that was bred to fight and you will not change genetics...... however I am always concerned when owners of 3 month old pups make statements like 'attack mode'  because in my experience it more than often turns out to be normal puppy play but the owner is inexperienced, doesn't have the knowledge of normal pup play and often thinks that pups are just 'cuddly babies' and they don't realise to achieve a well balance, obedient and socialable dog take daily hard work from day one

• 1 month ago

How much (if any) breed research did you do on Dachshunds?  The standard sized dachshund was developed to scent, chase, and flush out badgers and other burrow -dwelling animals, while the miniature dachshund was bred to hunt small animals such as rabbits and mice.  Hunting badgers is a dangerous job.  Dachs are bred to be very tough & very "GAME" in order to do this and they do NOT "stand-down" easily, from a fight.  Breed profile articles indicate they are NOT pet friendly.  (Surprise, surprise!!)

example:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/breed-profile-dachsh...

Your dog cannot be REQUIRED to like or play with another dog.  Many dogs DO NOT LIKE or want a companion dog.  All he HAS TO DO is tolerate the other dog and to that end, your roommate or you need to STOP the Chihuahua from starting the "play fighting" if you know what is good for it.   How about IT "LEARNS" to BEHAVE CORRECTLY and GET ALONG with your PUPPY???   (BTW, it won't win, so best NOT to start a fight.)

• 1 month ago

try to teach him that its play fighting and not serious

• 1 month ago

Far from all dogs want to be friends with other dogs, and as a breed, dachshunds are often NOT dogs who want to be friends with random dogs.  All you have to do is learn to teach your dog that he needs to co-exist with the other dog.  They don't need to play, they don't need to have any interaction.  At this age, your puppy should be going to puppy kindergarten classes.  Enroll.  You need a qualified instructor to teach you how to train your dog.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Maybe you need to just correct him when he gets in that mindset. Eventually he'll realize that you aren't going to accept that behavior and he'll stop. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.