Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Should I install a carbon monoxide alarm in my bedroom? Or should I install one in the hallway instead?

The only working CO detector is in my furnace room and it’s in the middle floor. My bedroom is upstairs and I usually sleep with the air conditioner on and my door closed so I’m not sure if I’d be able to hear it with the air conditioner on. 

We don’t have one upstairs, and I was considering installing one in my bedroom but there is one catch.  if I put one in my bedroom but on the other side of the room away from the air conditioner will it still falsely detect CO? 

• A.J.
    Favorite Answer

Carbon Monoxide is very slightly less dense than air and normally installed five feet or so above the floor at heights we tend to breathe. It may rise up with warm air and flow with air circulation. The air conditioner does tend to circulate air and its CO, as does room fans. It is one of the issues in sealed homes, and AC's do draw in some outside air. I would think you are mostly concerned with a night time detection when sleeping. It is a concentration in air. Just make sure it's not too low in the room. It's probably fine in just the furnace room. You can add one in the bedroom to feel safer. False positive meaning too high a content is not terrible. It's undetected that is the issue. I have a smoke detector immediately above my bed, an excellent location for that, and more of a concern than CO. Maybe at a top of stairwells, or near the room entry, or near your bed, about 5 to 7 feet up.

• Edwena

Put one in your bedroom  and the hall. You want one on each side of a door.

• gerald

You will hear it 

• Rick

then the hall way BETWEEN your bedroom and the furnace room.