For people that own an M14 style rifle?

I am interested in purchasing an M14 style rifle, don't know what exactly I want tho. My question is this, what is the proper way to clean those types of rifles? I've done some research and heard that taking them apart is not recommended. From my own research, I seem to find that most people usually just simply wipe the rifle and apply whatever kind of gun oil they use. So what do you do? 

Favorite Answer

Cleaning any firearm involves more than just cleaning and lubricating the exterior of the weapon. If it is fired the inside of the barrel needs to be cleaned to prevent rusting and/or pitting of the barrel. I'm sure there are other videos on YouTube that go into detail on exactly how one goes about cleaning an M-14 but here is one to gt you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNKcWNeQzDE

Youtube thumbnail

springfield armory has a very good cleaning kit for the m1 a they sell, visit their site...

Source(s): i got one
  • JOHN B

Competition rifles are bedded with compound that will be disturbed if disassembled. Sufficient cleaning of barrel, chamber and most of the action can be achieved without total disassembly. 

A standard rifle disassembled will have a "shooting in" period of a few rds in order to  settle into the stock and produce consistent accuracy.

I'm not anal about cleaning so I'll scrub the bore and chamber, re-grease the bolt, roller and track about every 2-300 rds without disassembly. As long as it cycles properly I disassemble about once a year.

• Quinn

You need to do a better job researching. There is no such thing as a firearm that does not need to be field stripped (disassembled) to be properly cleaned. Military firearms of the last 100 years are designed to be field stripped which means disassembling it to the key components for cleaning. This is different from a complete disassembly of all the parts to the absolute smallest unit which is usually done by a qualified armorer or someone who knows what they are doing.

If you want to know how to properly clean a M1A (which is the civilian version of the M14), read the manual. If after reading it, you are still unsure just watch the dozens of videos on YouTube on how to clean and maintain a M1A.

• Rick

Since you're new at this, suggest you get an 'official' Army manual on the rifle and learn it the 'right' way.  GREAT pick, by the way !!!  Got mine right here ................

Source(s): Retired Army SFC.
  • Kieth

You will get a manual with your new rifle that will give you proper cleaning instructions.