Dirac
Dirac asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 2 months ago

Should deniers petition the American Chemical Society to rename "ocean acidification" as "ocean dealkalinization"?

Personally, I think that understanding the science is more important than the terminology, but people like Clown Crusher can't seem to understand that adding an acid to something is "acidification" (even though he gives the dictionary definition), so do you think would he be able to understand the concept if the name was changed? On a similar note, would deniers be able to understand the "greenhouse effect" if the name were changed to "atmosphere effect"?

By the way, this question is open to all--as are all of my questions--because I believe that a free expression of ideas is the best way for people to learn.

Again, Clown Crusher seems to be lost in terminology rather than in the science. Acidification is the term used by professional chemists (I'm guessing the Clown isn't one) for adding an acid to a solution, regardless of the end point. That's why the ACS uses the term "ocean acidification", even though no one expects the pH to fall below 7.

He then explains why he is apparently against openness in questions by resorting to some bizarre and unfounded conspiracy theory--that I work for..

...some shadowy organization based in Vancouver. Sorry, Clown Crusher, I've never been to Vancouver and I'm not paid by any organizations based there. My only foray into Canada was driving to Winnipeg one day from Grand Forks, ND.

Clown Crusher is amusing, the more I tell him about myself, the more suspicious he gets! Why did I mention Grand Forks, Clown? You missed that tidbit entirely. So here's another bit of personal information, something I have never shared before in here...I was enrolled in a master's program in atmospheric science through the University of North Dakota in....wait for it...Grand Forks!!

Clown Crusher's tips sound like they're straight out of Cosmopolitan. He says that I am guilty of "Embellishing insignificant details while avoiding important ones" Okay, what "important" details am I avoiding? Did you not make it all the way through the sentence?

• Favorite Answer

No, most intelligent people can understand it, nothing I've seen from the Clown Crusher suggest to me he cares about science so probably waste of time 

"Acidification" carries the requisite terror the cult will continue with it regardless. You must always remember word play to disguise or misrepresent is the defining symptom of a cult.

The biggest example for this particular cult is the attempt to bastardise the term "climate change" and make it  mean "dangerous man made climate". Obviously duplicitous but a fabulous idea because "climate change" is a catchall requiring no explanation and covers every single possibility. 

However, if a politico, news reader or scientist was truthful and said "such and such an event was caused by dangerous man made climate change" it opens a can of worms.

Questions like "how do you know?", "where is your repeatable experiment demonstrating your assertion", "show your empirical evidence for this claim" absolutely kills the claim stone dead because none of the above exists.

Intuitively the general public understand this so despite decades of mass marketing the notion survey after survey shows the public not really arsed. Best exampled by XtremeRebellion weirdos climbing on top of tube trains to stop them and getting a really good kicking from members of the public. Outside of the echo chamber the cult have lost

This bowl of soup looks good, doesn't it?

This is all moot.  None of the alarmist negative effects have come true.  I have documented this since last year with peer review and authoritative sources (e.g., NOAA).  I have posted dozens of peer reviewed studies and stats.

My top 5 are in the graphic below.  They contradict all the political claims and predictions made by alarmists.

The only people posting on your radical left wing side are your army of sock puppet accounts. As soon as you use the racist term 'denier' you lose.

Dirac has a defective brain. The only way someone could be so enamored with fake global warming is if they are profiting from the fraud or if they are leftist political shills.

• Koshka

David has nailed it pretty much about their agreement with ''cooling''. I call it intellectual dishonesty. Personally, I don't really care about some nomenclatures, they can sometimes be loosely interpreted. This question is extremely simple kid's chemistry, why they try to find a ghosts in the fog is amazingly dumb! 

• David

And they never seem to have a problem from the fellow deniers -- the ones of the Ice Age Alarmist division -- talking about the sun 'cooling'. 

Why are you embellishing your story with insignificant details about Winnipeg?

Check this article called  "10 Telltale Phrases That Indicate Somebody Isn't Telling the Truth." 

"10. Embellishing insignificant details while avoiding important ones." 

"Liars are eager to convince you they are telling the truth and will try to add details to make their story more believable -- which actually makes their story less believable. If a person is lying, they tend to offer surplus information without prompts and they may repeat certain phrases as they try to buy themselves time." 

Ocean PH is 8.  That's alkaline.  There's no "acidification."  If I grill my raw steak to rare and not well done,then it hasn't undergone charrification.

And a big LOL to the troll's "free expression."

It's a fact Dirac is paid to post here on behalf of an environmental group in Vancouver BC.

The only reason the troll invites everyone is that he gets more hours to post here.  So, if you engage him, then you're just facilitating his paycheck.