nansnsmd asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Starting the pill?

Going to my doctors appointment soon to get prescribed birth control pills. Starting it because me and my boyfriend have spoken about being sexually active. The thing is that we’re in a long distance relationship so obviously we won’t be doing anything yet, mainly starting it now to see how my body would react to it.

Was planning on taking it right as I get prescribed the pills, that means that I won’t be on my period, but after doing my research which I’ve been doing for the longest time cause I’m worried about the side effects, I read that the side effects might get worse if I don’t start the pill first day on my period. Just wanted to check what kind of experience people have had with this, and if it’s true?

Get a different type of B/C that you can use only when you need it like a diaphragm

• Edna

You don't have to be on your period when you begin taking birth control pills. You can begin taking your pill as soon as it's prescribed, and it will be become effective about 7 days later. 

OR, you can begin taking it and use another form of birth control along with it until you finish taking the first pill pack, and then begin a new pill pack. That way, you KNOW you'll be protected against pregnancy. The pill prevents ovulation from ever happening; and if you don't ovulate, you can't get pregnant.

Just about the only "side effect" you're going to experience when you're taking birth control pills is that you can't get pregnant.

Source(s): 30 years experience taking birth control pills

Taking this on the day you start your period, is more a convenience issue than anything. If you start the pill the sunday after your period starts then once hormones regulate you will start your period usually on Tuesday/Wednesday and bleed for 2-5 days. Best case scenario is Tuesday with 3 days of bleeding which means you never are on your period on the weekend! Side effects don't get worse, biggest chance of side effects is actually when you start. If you don't have any medical issues pretty much all or safe. Let me know if you have specific questions about different methods. 

Talk with the doctor who writes the prescription. He/She can tell you when to start.

There will also be drug information in the package that will tell you the same thing.

We cannot tell you anything because we do not know what you will be getting.

Ask your doctor.

There are many different variations of the contraceptive pill and they have different requirements.

Most say take at the same time each day (say you decide 9am)but while some only allow a 1 hour bariation (so between 8am and 10am) others are ok with a 3 hour variation (so between 6am and 12 noon).

Some have the same pill taken every day, some you take one type of pill for twenty one days then a different type for 7 days. There are other variations.

Talk to your doctor.

Ask questions until you understand when to take them, when to start, what to do if you miss one, how long until effective,what side effects you might experience, which side effects you can ignore and which ones are important.

Long distance relationship?  Remember to put a condom over your phone for phone sex to prevent ear infections.   But seriously my wife started on the "Allese" birth control pill from about a week before our wedding to about 5 months after she hit menopause.  Her periods became very light and much more regular and she had much less pain and bloating.  

Start a fresh package right after your period ends and go ahead and take the 7 dummy pills (that contain no hormones) to stay on a regular schedule.  The only side effect my wife had was billiary colic when she first started because of eating a lot of fried foods.  She had some nausea and vomitting for a few days but everything settled down and she had no other side effects.  Needless to say those few days were during our 2 week honeymoon in the Bahamas, so I suggest you start on the pill as soon as is practical.

• Tavy

You need to take the pill on the day the leaflet tells you. I was on it for years and had no problems with it. You will have a withdrawal bleed on the 4th week of each month.

There can be side affects with anything you put in your body, don't go looking for problems.