Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

26 years old and struggling to move out of home due to family situation. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Hi! I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I’m 26 years old and currently living with my mother and grandmother in a home my grandmother owns. Ive gotten to a point in my life recently where I have a desire to move out and can financially afford to do so. I don’t make great money at my career, but enough that I think I could get a place of my own. The issue that is keeping me from moving out is that my grandmother has put my mother in her will to receive her home after she passes away. The problem with that is that, without my income, I know that there is no way my mother could afford to keep that house. I don’t want want my mother to struggle financially or end up without a place to live, but I also don’t want to spread myself to thin by paying for a place for me to live and also, eventually, a place for my mom to live when my grandmother is no longer around paying the bills.  My mother is very upset at the prospect of me moving out because she also knows that she can not afford this house without me. I just feel like I’m being held back by family and I don’t know what to do. Any advice?

i would just move, they cant legally stop you

• Tj

Your mom can sell the house if she cannot afford it, and get something she can afford. Time to worry about yourself and your future, time to have a home a family. You have done all you can, it s now your turn to be good to.

• ?

stop trolling is one from me

Well, you are taking on issues that are not yours to own. If your Mom inherits the house and can't afford to keep it then she can sell it. Millions do! It's not horrible. It often gives the cushion to move into a different situation and establish a future of one's own control instead of stepping into one's mother's life. Your mom can sell the house she inherits. You can move out any time you want to. Your grandmother's choices don't need to be your choices. Your grandmother's choices don't need to be your mother's choices. Your mother's choices don't need be your choices. Go live YOUR life. 

sorry dude....family is family. you gotta stay with mom/granny.