Why does my laptop constantly shut off randomly?

Recently I began having an issue with my laptop shutting off randomly but normally happens if I'm doing any video streaming such as Netflix or Youtube. I'm not sure if it's overheating or if something could be giving out

get GPU-Z [free] and install.  see if it will monitor the temp level.  there's a similar utility for cpu temps -- try that as well.  and check your fan ..

• David

It sounds as though the heatsink and fans may be clogged with dust

As a temporary measure you can buy a laptop cooling tray that you sit the laptop on. This contains fans and encourage airflow into the laptop cooling vents

You can try clearing it with a can of compressed air you can buy from any computer store, by blowing back through the vents but if that doesn't work the laptop usually has to be stripped to gain better access. This is not normally a DIY job unless you have done this before. Sometimes the heat sink and fans are easily accessible after removing a cover, other times the motherboard has to be removed which involves a complete stripdown

May be have a look on youtube for a disassembly video for your model so you can see what is involved

With no clues what "laptop", how hot, its age, warranty status, operating system, BIOS display of CPU temp, how to guess?

I use an external fan box from USB that goes over the exit grill and sucks hot air out.  About $17 on Ebay.  Great for all my laptops.

Overheating is a good guess.  You can try cleaning it out by blowing compressed air over it.   And you can try giving more room to circulate air.