Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

What does this sentence mean? ?

Somebody cheated this guy some money in a business. He said jokingly. 

I went to his home and collected the money very "peacefully". He sarcastically used the word "peacefully". How he would've managed to collect the money here? 

• John P

I assume that the opposite to collecting money 'peacefully' would be 'by force' - sending in the heavy guys to force payment.

But from my perspective in  Britain, 'peacefully' seems a strange sword to use in the context of collecting a debt, so I am not surprised at your query. I might say 'in a civilised way', meaning that no harsh words were spoken and that the money was paid with no argument after a very short discussion.

He is really unbelievably cunning having ample cunningness to be able to deceive this guy pretending as an honest reliable person. After all these group of people are snaks in the grass who can be really dangerous.

He didn't commit any acts of violence, but he threatened them.

threatened or performed violence, obviously.  the opposite of the sarcastic peacefully.

• RP

It means his collection of the money was uneventful. Apparently, from the introductory sentence, it seems he really got less than he was expecting.

• Zapata

If it is said jokingly, and particularly if quotation marks are used to emphasize the word, the implication is that the method used to collect the money was definitely not peaceful, and that almost certainly threats or violence were used.

If his tone was sarcastic, then he threatened violence or used violence. 

he just did it in a peaceful way