Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 month ago

As a senior citizen, why go see a doctor, when you will never take medications, drugs?

• Edna

I'm a senior citizen. When I go to the doctor and he prescribes medication for me, I take that medication, for as long as the doctor tells me to take it

I hate to go to the doctor, and avoid it as much as possible.  However, I have  had elevated  blood pressure for years and there doesn't seem to be any medication that can help control it.  Even right after a 4 way bypass it was elevated and with in a year the left side of my heart enlarged.  I take approximately 10 medications daily and still fell poorly, but I follow the doctors instructions.

That's the point I'm at now also.  The less doctoring, the better; especially now since you can catch Covid just by  leaving home.  I would, however, go to the hospital if I broke a bone.  Other than that, I just keep the tylenol handy. 

• ted

I want to stay as healthy as possible.  As such, I always take the medication that my doctor prescribes.  

• kswck2

I don't go to a doctor because i don't want to pad his retirement by ordering useless tests. 

• Snid

It's an individual decision.  If you want to ignrore your health, don't go.

• drip

Would you be willing to change your life style to live longer, be healthier or feel better? Not everything the doctor does is about taking medication. Would you start to exercise, walk a around the block.  Or cut out fried foods. 

Would you rather die than find out you need an operation? Would you rather know what is going on with your own body, or go on unaware and suffer the consequences? 

My mom never listens much to her doctor, then blames them when she pays the consequences for her lack of follow through.  

• Laredo

You do not always have to take drugs that the Doctor prescribes.  I had low potassium levels and the Doctor wanted to put me on tablets for life.  When I asked if there is an alternative, he told me to eat a banana every day and this helps the potassium. So that is what I do, not a fan of bananas but I eat one every day instead of having to take tablets. (It does work as well)

If the Doctor prescribes tablets that help my life to continue then I would take them the same as everyone else would. 

There was a time when Doctors just prescribed anything and everything to a patient, you cannot spend your life popping tablets when there is no need to. Nowadays Doctors are more selective about what they prescribe.

Well I wasn't planning on going to doctor to find out I need to take the meds, but I ineed it I will have to take it to stay alive .

Have ever heard to get a check up?