Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Im having anxiety and depression about potentially being a dad?

I get a call from a one-night stand that I dont even know, from a city 4 hours away because we hooked up while I was visiting family. She told me she was on birth control but calls me saying shes keeping the baby no questions asked. Im 22, shes 19. Were strangers that were drunk and yet shes about to change my entire life. She did have sec with another guy 5 days prior to me so thats the only hope I have but the baby wont come until like March and I wake up everyday depressed and anxious with this in the back of my mind.

Time to get a grip.  You should probably look at hiring an attorney.  Step # 1 is to ask the woman to allow a paternity test once the child is born.  The only way to know if you are the father is a DNA test with the child.

If you are not the father, you're off the hook so to speak.

Assuming that you may be the father, you need to work with the woman and a lawyer to negotiate some kind of agreement or settlement. 

For example, I would assume the only reason the woman told you was that she is also expecting or demanding some kind of child support.  If you are the biological father, then you may be legally responsible for some form of child support. What that will be depends on the state you live in and the agreement you come to.  If you can't mediate an agreement, then the court/judge will decide.  The same is true if you want to have any form of custody or visitation with the child.  

• martin

You should see a female lawyer who practices family law.  See if you can get a court order for blood tests for the newborn baby and yourself, and the other guy 5 days prior.  At least you will be able to know the paternity of the baby, and can rest in the meantime, with a court order for the future tests.

• Marc

Well this is the result of a choice that you made. Regardless of circumstances you made the choice to get drunk and have sex.  Make sure you get a paternity test after the baby is born and if you are the dad, do the right thing and be a dad.  As far as your anxiety, there is nothing you can do about the situation other than prepare for a child.  It is overwhelming, but also one of the most rewarding experiences you can have.