Am I entitled to British citizenship?

I am irish, but four of my grandparents were born in Ireland before it was a republic, and my maternal grandparents were born whilst Ireland was part of the UK (before the formation of the free state in 1922). I am 19 and hoping to use the citizenship or passport to gain UK university fees if fees climb over the next couple of years due to brexit. 

Thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Er, nope. 

But as an Irish citizen, you can freely move to the UK without requiring a visa. Currently if you live in Ireland, you'll also get 'home' fees at UK universities. 

• 2 months ago

You do not appear to qualify for British citizenship based on having British grandparents:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_...

• 2 months ago

You are not entitled to British citizenship, neither do you need it.  Irish and UK citizens continue to have the protection of the Common Travel Area. The CTA affords Irish and UK citizens the right to access all levels of education and training, and associated student support, in each other’s state, on terms no less favourable than those for the citizens of that state.

Irish students will continue to be able to study in the UK and apply for higher education courses using current systems. Irish students studying in the UK will still be eligible for the same rate of fees as British students in the UK and may be eligible for a maintenance grant under the Student Grant Scheme.

If you decide to settle in the UK, after 5 years you will be able to register as a British citizen.  Then you will be entitled to both passports - best of both worlds. 

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Irish students (who live in Ireland) studying in the UK will still be eligible for the same rate of fees as British students in the UK and may be eligible for a maintenance grant under the Student Grant Scheme.....so no change there and Brexit has zero to do with it!

.......and no you are not entitled to British citizenship, unless you were born in the UK or one of your parents is British in which case you can apply for British citizenship by descent.... however as there is and has been for the last 100 yrs plus freedom of movement between the islands of Ireland and Britain for citizens to live/work and study British citizenship would not give you anything 'extra'......... if of course you are Irish( or British) living outside Ireland or Britain then regardless of your citizenship you do not get 'home fees'

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Your parents would be entitled to claim a British Passport, but you are not.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.