Changing thermostat nest to a simple one ?

I currently have a nest thermostat but it’s a little too “smart” for me. I’m trying to change to a simpler Honeywell RTH5160. Problem is that I have an extra wire coming out of the existing thermostat. It’s a wire connected to a star terminal. I believe the star wire is specific for the existing nest thermostat and don’t think I need it but what do I do with it when I connect the new thermostat? Can I put electrical tape over it?  

• Andy C

That's likely the C wire,  which powers the thermostat.   Most modern thermostats require or at least have a place to connect the end.

If you disconnect the C wire and leave it hanging,  make sure you disconnect the other end at the furnace/AC.

For the low voltage at the thermostat, you don't even need electrical tape. Just cut the wire so the insulation extends to the end of the conductor. Electrical tape won't hurt, but is more than required.

Do not worry about the Nest thermostat.  You can throw it away.  Worry about the wiring on the wall and how you connect it to your new thermostat.