Rose asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How to find a stray cat?

I really want a cat, and I want to rescue one outside that's dying, instead of from a shelter where they are cared for because my local shelter is a no kill shelter. Where I live does not have many stray cats, how can I find one?

Please I love cats and I REALLY want one. 

I can't put out cat food, I'm a teen and my mom won't let me

They said we can get a cat if I get one myself either pay the adoption fee by myself which is like $150 or get a stray, they just don't want me leaving out food in case a raccoon or squirrel eats it instead of a cat

I have been saving for years, I do have $150 but there's a possibility that a stray cat could be spayed or neutered for a capture, fix, release thing, they do that where I live

Favorite Answer

Leave out a bowl of food, preferably cat food but if you don't have any then maybe meat. If you can't, just look outside and see if you can spot any stray cats.

I have been saving for years, I do have $150 but there's a possibility that a stray cat could be spayed or neutered for a capture, fix, release thing, they do that where I live oops meant to update

It is almost impossible to catch a feral (stray) cat.  and you wouldn't want one - they are wild and are not human friendly.  Leaving food out is a good way to get critters other than cats.  If you really want a cat check with the rescue and see if they have a special event coming up.

Miss Rose, you REALLY need to ask your mom and dad FIRST. If they won't let you put out a can of food. Do you really think they'll let you have a cat?

They DO get killed at shelters.   Even no kill shelters do kill a small portion of the animals...  Or the animals get rotated out to a kill shelter where they will get killed.

You CAN'T have a cat if you are a teen anyways.   Thats your parent's choice to get a cat or not

A roaming cat COULD belong to someone else...  If ferals and strays arent common in your area, then there is a good chance that a roaming cat IS someones lost or escaped pet.

Even if you could find an unclaimed stray..  They need shots, dewormed and fixed...  Which will cost more than $150.   The shelter cats will come with all of that done.   Save your allowance.

• Rick

put a bowl of cat food out .................................