why so many dvd covers?

I I would like to know why so many dvds have a different cover of the same movie?  How do I know if I'm getting the right  movie and not a copy? I'm looking to buy' It’s a Mad Mad Mad world.' Have you any idea how many dvd covers there are?

Sometimes it's to help distinguish between a Region 1 (US / Canada) dvd or bluray,

and that for a different area (this also affects what languages audio/subtitles are in). 

Other times it's to generate sales, when seeing a different cover like on a so-called

" Walmart Exclusive ", might ask yourself " Do I have this already " & end up buying it. 

Source(s): I've been collecting DVDs and Blurays for many years.

I don't know how many covers any particular movie has. But what I do know is that every time a movie is re-released, either in a new format or with new additional features, it's possible for it to get new cover art. (Same thing with a book.)

The original movie is not going to change, but the availability of subtitles and what languages they're in, the addition of chapters, the DVD versus Blu-ray, commentary from cast or director, interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, all those things might be behind a re-issue.