Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Would people be a lot happier or more depressed if they realized that God doesn’t exist like me and other atheists have?

It seems to me like people believe in God because they can’t deal with the fact that life sucks and then you die. No other reason why God has any other use other than that of a fictional being.

That’s an obvious question. They’d be a lot more depressed. To think there is just a dark void for all of eternity rather than light and eternity of joy, yea. Jesus healed my depression.

Many people are religious and believe in God because a lot of people have to have something to believe in and something to have faith in.  Others of us, don't necessarily need that.  Then there are some who are on the fence and not sure at all about whether a god exists or not.  

A former Oxford University scholar, Christopher Hitchens, wrote several books before he died of  esophageal cancer from alcohol and chain smoking. His book that got a lots of attention, "God is not GREAT."(How Religion Poisons Everything.)Research Hitchens at Google for more detail. Hitchens was an atheist, too.

harrald

Being an atheists doesn't mean that God doesn't exist, it means that the existence of God cannot be proven.  I doubt that ones happiness has very little to so with being a atheist.  Life is what you make of it, and you are responsible for your own feelings.

Source(s): Atheist for over 50 years

your idea has merit

people who want to behave poorly will and most unhappiness comes from minor to major bad behavior and the personal result of that action

people of faith blame sin on the devil and they blame all things they do they should not on the devil... they are not dealing with the problem direct and say god forgives them, god does not modify their behavior   -- with the idea if god forgives then the people they violate so should forgive them. 

people of no faith know they would not like to be violated theft, murder,  etc, thus they will treat other people as they would want to be treated. they know all things they do in violation to other peoples rights is on their responsibility not other entity like the devil or god.  

the depression comes from not facing their PERSONAL responsibility 

sadly most people of faith live often hoping life after death will be better

happily people with no faith work to make life better here and now and this also carries other people who fail to take care of them selves

action fixes problems

prayer keeps you occupied until that problem is cured by others or it destroys you 

• edward

Depressed.  In my life, there have been times where i thought i have lost everything, first time i lost a race, first hearbreak, first time i failed a test. Those were times i thought i’d never recover from.  So i prayed.  Prayed to be faster, prayed to be smarter, paryed to be better and it all worked out in the end.  Praying helps me feel better.  My faith keeps me away from the edge of insanity. I fear divine punishment, that’s why i don’t do evil things.  I fear the consequences

There's no evidence that everybody would be a lot happier if they gave up religion. Studies show that religious people are generally better able to deal with problems, although not all religious beliefs do this for people (Source - article by psychologist). 

https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2013/03/re...

Not all religions say that there's an All-Powerful Creator. Buddhism does not. Ancient Greek philosophers said that although the gods exist, it's not a good idea to ask them for favors. The Stoics said that the gods don't need our advice.