Louis asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

Do you know what this movie is?

I watched this movie as a kid, and I've been trying to figure out what it is for 17 years, and I can't find it. It began in the regular world, and there were two kids, and older sister and a younger brother, who went to an alternate universe where it was always night. They first ended up in a desert where they had to run from a creature. They ran into a small suburban neighborhood where a teenaged boy said "It's playtime". What "playtime" was was, all the children would leave their houses and stand in their driveways, and the girls would jump rope in rhythm, and the boys would dribble basketballs in rhythm. They told the main characters it was to please "It". One boy was playing basketball normally in his driveway, shooting hoops, and these secret service type men in a black car showed up, and took him away. Later, we find out that "It" is these giant worms under the earth. There's also a man with magical powers, who makes the boy main character trust him because he gave him his favorite smoothie magically, and made Sally Ride appear who he was a fan of for some reason. He also tricked the main characters to think they went back to the regular world. The movie ends in a cafe, when the girl main character tosses a basketball to the kid who got taken away in the black car, and the sun finally comes out in that world. I saw this movie in 2003, and it looked like late 90's early 2000's era. I've looked everywhere for it. Does anyone know what it is?

Favorite Answer

A Wrinkle in Time (2003). A young girl and her genius kid brother are aided by three curious witches in their search for their missing scientist father, captive of an omnipotent otherworldly villain simply called 'It' whose evil is slowly infecting the universe.