How do I register a .22 rifle in my name as an 18yo in California?

My dad bought it for me about a decade ago with no background check or registration in Washington state. It’s a legal length .22 rifle from cabelas but it’s not registered in any state. If I already have the gun can I just register it myself or do I need a way around. I was thinking either getting a hunting license which reduces the rifle age to 18, or having my dad register it and “handing it down” to me. Any advice?

6 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    Seems to me all you have to do is show proof of ownership and you will need a photo ID showing residency, then just register the rifle at any sheriff office.

    My state, rifles need no registration and 13 year old for hunting license.

  • 4 weeks ago

    If you have it off the record, why give a future statist government any indication  that you have it?

  • 1 month ago

    If it is a bolt action or lever action or single shot there there is no need to do anything.   If it is a semi auto then you might have to register it.   It might be a good idea for your dad to give you a bill of sale just in case you need it in the future.

  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    I would just do an intrafamilial transfer.

    It does not need your father to register it first.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

    Look up the number for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms and explain what you wish to do.  They can provide instructions from there.

    The big question is:  Why wasn't it registered at the time of purchase?  If your father purchased it at Cabela's, it would have never left the store without filling out some form of paperwork.  If I were you8, I would provide the serial number to BATF to see if it may perhaps be registered

  • 1 month ago

    Call the non-emergency number for your local police department and go over your story with them.  If they can not answer your question they should be able to transfer your call to someone that can.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.