Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Could the US govt request Canada, Australia or UK to extradite US citizens who aren't filing US tax returns, FBARs, 8938s back to the US?

If the US govt did such a thing, would Canada, Australia or UK comply given the enormous power the US has in the global financial system?

4 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    All of that depends on extradition treaties. Where money is the heart of the issue, it's more common just to seize their assets.

  • 1 month ago

    I'm sure we have extradition treaties with all those countries.  No other developed country has the death penalty, so they won't extradite criminals suspected of capital crimes.  But tax crimes are not capital (not yet anyway.  Maybe in Trump's 2nd term.)

  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Other countries dislike Trump, and don't like to answer to US requests any more.

    Failure to file taxes is a misdemeanor. They usually only extradite for felonies. It would need to be a big amount of money. US has embassies there, and could deal with anyone who they wanted to investigate not filing taxes and evading significant tax. Obama had a lot more respect and cooperation.

    Why choose Canada, Australia, UK?

    You can forget about Germany, Trump keeps insulting Angela Merkel.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Since trump became president, the USA lost its influence. Most countries have dropped the US dollar.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.