Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Why do some white americans claim basketball and football when neither one came from white americans?

white americans and other white people have different cultures so unless it was a white american who came up with basketball and football themselves they can’t claim it football came from a british white man and basketball came from a canadian white man so neither one are from white american culture.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

False. Naismith had dual citizenship and he invented the game in the US.  American football was 'invented' when Walter Camp proposed new rules to introduce 'downs' to the rugby-style game being played at the time; a team had to gain 5 yards during their three downs or they gave up possession. Marking the field in 5-yard increments gave it the appearance of a gridiron, and that description stuck. The distance was later increased to 10 yards.  The introduction of downs to the rugby-style game created a new, separate and distinct game.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Cultural appropriation.  The immigrants bring their pastimes, cuisines, etc. to the US. The US likes what it sees and tastes. A little practice.  A little tinkering. Voila! They become American.

Mr. Naismith "shot" into baskets before he went to the States. Farm kids are always throwing things into baskets set high: stones, peach pits, their sisters' dolls.  He used a ball, cut the bottom out of a basket and developed a game into a sport. (It's almost impossible to dribble fruit, except when eating a peach.)

Running with the ball is an old game too. I'm sure all cultures ran to a goal with an item and were chased by the owner of that item, just as all cultures tossed things into pots, hollowed gourds or baskets.

• blu
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The history of basketball began with its invention in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by Canadian physical education instructor James Naismith (white person) as a less injury-prone sport than football. Naismith was a 31-year old graduate student when he created the indoor sport to keep athletes indoors during the winters.

This is the way history has recorded it. The sport was invented in America. You're splitting hairs. I can do this too. Naismith became an American citizen in 1925. Thus, an American (who happens to be white) invented the sport.

• 1 month ago

My ancestor wrote the rules of football, and basketball was done by a white also.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

What, just ONE "British white man" invented football, and just ONE "British white man" invented basketball?

I doubt it very much.

• 1 month ago

What difference does it make unless you're a racist?

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Same reason they claim coleslaw (obviously a dutch word) and apple-pie (probably invented in England)

cultural appropriation. (for real, not the SJW-crap)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.