Is willed money taxable & limited?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Money willed to you is considered a gift. A gift is not within the definition of income and thus not subject to federal income taxes. Whether the person/estate giving you the gift may owe "gift taxes" or must file something is their problem, not the recipients.

• 1 month ago

Inheritance is taxed in six of the 50 US states. However, Federal tax is usually only levied on estates worth more than $11.58 million dollars. Very few people ever pay inheritance tax. As far as limited goes, that is the only limit--the worth of the estate. 

• 1 month ago

IN the US, there is no federal inheritance tax at this time.  Different states have different rules.

• 1 month ago

Generally, an inheritance is not subject to income tax, unless the money was taken from a tax-deferred account such as a traditional IRA or 401(k) account.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

there is inheritance tax. some places do not charge it if it is spouse or children and some places have reduced tax. where i live if it is a third person it is 20%

Lv 6
    1 month ago

Most places, if it's from a parent or spouse it's tax free, if it's from anyone else it isn't.

• 1 month ago

I don't know what you mean by "limited".

There is an estate tax which is paid for by the estate (not the recipient) but most people don't have enough to have any money due.

Some states have an inheritance tax.

If the person dies without a trust (either intrastate meaning no will or with a will) there is probate costs paid for by the estate. 

• martin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's generally tax free nowadays.

• 1 month ago

There is no income tax on it.

In some states, there is an inheritance tax on it.

• 1 month ago

i would ask a tax place this question

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.