If heating the tip of a pin to surface of the sun will kill everyone in 1000 miles, why doesn't nuke kill everyone in 1000 miles?

On a Vsauce video it said if you heat tip of pin to temp. of sun anyone within 1000 miles will die. I also heard that a nuke is also as hot as the surface of the sun, so why doesn't everyone within 1000 miles die when nuke test happens? 

Update:

@Captain Matticus, LandPiratesInc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fuHzC9aTik

Youtube thumbnail

Here is the video- at 2:33 he makes claim about temp. of head of pin

Update 2:

@billrussell42 Vsauce seems like a knowledgeable dude, here is vid where he says

Update 3:

It might actually be center of sun I meant

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Vo, heating the tip if a pin to the temp of the sun won't do that.

It is called statistical BS.

Do not be impressed by any form of statistical BS especially commercials on TV.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I have no idea what 'Vsauce' is but how are you going to heat the tip of a pin to the temperature of the sun without employing a very powerful furnace?

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That is clearly nonsense and I have no idea how he could say that and do the graphics without realising. 15 million  ⁰C or Kelvin is a big number but when it is limited to a pinhead it isn't much energy. It is the same total heat energy as 15 million pinheads at 1 Kelvin, which would fit in a circle about 4 meters across. So not really much danger at 1000 miles.

• 1 month ago

The highest melting metal is, I'm pretty sure, Tungsten. Its melting tempeature is 3400 degrees C. So far as I know, no pin points are made of tungsten. Steels are usually around 1350 degrees C. The interior of the sun is about15-million degrees C, and the outer layer is about 5500 degrees C. So, as billrussell pointed out, the tip of a pin even if made of tungsten would melt instantly. So, it's hard to make any sense of what you're quoting.

formeng

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The smart fellow in the vid knows , ... the pin-tip  may not withstand even 50 percent of the Sun's high temp in center  core ! ... So just enjoy the video and forget  ! :)

• 1 month ago

The video clearly says that it's the center of the sun, at 15 million kelvin.  A 1 gram piece of steel at that temperature would have about 7.5 million joules of energy.  In comparison, one tonne of TNT explosion is about 4,200 million joules. Maybe VSauce uses some really big pins?  That hypothetical 1 gram pin has the energy of somewhere about 60 hand grenades ... dangerous, but not out to 1000 miles!

• 1 month ago

Compare the tip of the pin to 1000 km then the size of the sun to the distance of the sun from the earth.  149000/646 = x/1 ( mm)  So the pin would have the same radiant energy at just 230 mm as the sun does at earth.  At 1m you would be getting next to nothing.  Now you might be thinking of charged particle bombardment which is absorbed by the air and deflected by the magnetic field of the earth.    Both of which would apply to a pin and to a nuclear explosion.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The video was incorrect.

• If you could share the source of the video, someone here could probably explain the discrepancy in their statement and your understanding of the statement.  As it is, with the limited information provided right now, there's no way for anyone here to adequately answer your question.

• 1 month ago

Vsauce video ?? why do you think they are correct? actually they are not .

The tip of a pin heated to solar temperatures would be a gas and disperse immediately. Someone nearby may get burned but only those within a few feet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.