Book about what if there are kings and queens in the United States.?

So, I am planning to write a book on what if there is a constitutional monarchy in the United states, like have kings and queens instead of presidents. What do you think about this idea?

Go for it.  I am a writer,  and I write for myself, so i say, if you want to write, write.

• Elaine

To answer your question.  The plot of the novel "Fatherland" is based on the premise that Hitler won the war.  The author makes the story believable.  There is nothing wrong with your premise, the skill is the development of both the plot and characters. 

Two other books which are based on the "what if" are "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Handmaid's Tale". 

• Marli

Zac Z, I don't think a constitutional monarchy is on the Donald's want list.

Look north.  It's been done. Tell the Continental Congress that staying would have saved a lot of trouble. It might have caused different troubles, but it would have saved us the ones we have had.

Because it's been done in Canada in real history, a book about the US doing it won't be interesting. Is Prince Harry in the States or in Canada? I haven't kept up to date about him since I heard he won't be appointed Governor-General - the only job one of his birth and rank could fit.  Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught did it.  Princess Louise's husband the Marquess of Lorne did it. I suppose being a son or son-in-law of Queen Victoria, instead of being a great-great-great-great-grandson, helped. Queen Victoria had heft - more than later monarchs - in more than weight.

But what if Harry became King of the USA? He's a born and bred prince. I wouldn't settle for an imitation royal. I doubt the Americans would. The  charm for Americans of hosting the Duke and Duchess of Windsor was that the Duke was a real prince and had been a real king.  Harry can't be the king in your book for libel law reasons, but what would life be like for the first king of a modern republic turned constiutional monarchy. The Queen does not actually live in Canada. We don't see her car or her gilded coach on Toronto's streets or watch her opening Parliament in Ottawa.  What would it have been like to have her or Prince Harry among us permanently.

I don't care about ideas. I only care about the finished book and how good it is.

If you want to write a book based on the premise that the USA is a constitutional monarchy, nobody's stopping you.

• Andrew

I really couldn't care less. In my experience, the people who come here to solicit opinions on the books they're "planning" to write never get around to actually writing them. This idea doesn't strike me as being particularly interesting and I highly doubt you'll produce more than a thousand words anyway. That's what I think. 

Honestly?  Not interesting.  A modern constitution monarchy like in the UK is a democratic/republic government and the "common folk" fawning over people with inherited wealth.  Don't we already have that with the Kardashians and Hiltons and people like George Clooney or Angelina Jolie?  The only real difference is that the "royals" do have ceremonial duties. 

Hypothetical "what if" histories have historically flopped on the book sales market, meaning not many people would be interested. Besides that, even the smallest change in historical events could have very wide-ranging and completely unpredictable consequences. Stick to real history.

I think it that idea has been done but you could have your own take on it

do you read Alternative history novels?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=alternative+history+...

So, it's yet another question that starts with "So," and goes on to describe a "book" that some zero is "planning" to write.

• Zac Z

Are you Donald Trump?  😂

Seriously, though. It could be an interesting setting, whether set in the future (as a science fiction or dystopian novel depends on the circumstances, I guess) or in an alternative timeline (uchronia).

Probably has been done before but that doesn't matter.

Because all you have at the moment is a setting, not a story.

If this is supposed to be a novel, you need a plot for which your idea serves as the backdrop.

But it's a starting point. Keep going!   :-)