AlPal asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 2 months ago

Can I bleach over red dyed hair (2+ year old color)?

Hi! I've been really wanting to bleach all of my hair so that I can start with a blonde base to do a 2-tone, half magenta half orange look on my African-American type 3C/4A natural curly hair. 

A little backstory, once a year in 2016, 2017 and 2018 I "tinted" my naturally 1B colored dark hair with the Manic Panic Infra Red color. It gave my dark hair a burgundy tint that you really could only see in good lighting. This is a semi-permanent hair dye that claims to last 4-6 weeks but it would last about 10 months for me (likely because of my hair type, I only wash weekly, rather than everyday or every few days). After about 10 months it was really hard to see in my hair so I would touch it up again. The last time I used it was sometime early 2018. In February of 2019 I decided that I wanted blonde highlights. I went to a salon to get my hair highlighted. My roots took the bleach well, but about 1- 1 1/2 inches down from the root was Hot Cheeto red (see photo). We tried a second round of bleach but the red was NOT budging. The stylist toned it down to a chestnut color. I went back a month later for another round of bleach and tone, the color is honey blonde now, which I was satisfied with, but I really wanted some WHITE Blonde highlights and it seemed that was just not going to happen.

My question is, it's now been over 1 year, I'm hoping the red is gone. But if not, is there ANYTHING I can do to remove that color so I can bleach my hair completely and evenly?

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.