Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

the thing i want to do before i die is to do a motorcycle road trip across the country. is this possible ?

just going across route 66 with just me on a motorcycle and a leather jacket.

it would feel like such a badass thing to do 

i also just want to own a motorcycle too. 

Is this a Question.?  Will the sun rise tomorrow?

Not only Possible:  many have done it. One fella did it on a Honda 350 with his son ("Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance") Che  Guevara toured  S. America on a 1930 Norton ("The Motorcycle Diaries")

Get a Gold Wing or other large tourer, fatigue is a big factor with a 'sickle. Dont push yourself. Take a lot of breaks. On my Harley I notice she needs gas at just about the time I need a break, a 140 miles. It's a bit slower way to travel than a car, but, you are part Of the scenery; not just watching it go buy the window. Best way to see the Petrified Forest.t.

Time your trip for late spring or early autumn  unless you plan to avoid the desert SW and far north.  Both 116 degree heat and snow/ice can make a MC trip miserable. There is safety/more Fun in numbers; either with a friend or join any packs you see of similar 'sickles. Most welcome guests to ride tail.

I am 63 and having more fun riding during retirement than I had at 24.  have friends who are "Nam vets, still ride at 68. 

To "Old"? Burty Munro fulfilled his lifetime dream , to break 200 MPH on a MC  at Bonneville , at 62. I'm scared to do 95 at 63...

• Dick

Yes, it's possible and a wonderful adventure. Get good equipment, and take a few shorter trips before setting out for the cross country ride. Preparation is key. Allow twice the time you think it should take. Then don't rush. The USA has lots of things  to see. Avoid tourist draws. Assimilate when you can.

Yes, so long as you just bribe the cops before stealing their cars. Good luck!:)

Having gone to South Dakota, in 1990, on a motorcycle anything is possible.  If you want to own and ride a motorcycle  DO IT.  Not because it is such a "badass" thing,  It isn't unless you are that anyway.

• God

Sure it's possible.  If you really, really want to do it do it as soon as you can.  Don't wait until you get too old.