Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

Is it rude to tell a friend that their grey hair doesn't suit them?

A friend took me out for lunch and said:  you have a very young face (I'm 55) but you could look younger if you coloured your hair.  I'm frequently mistaken for early forties, had jet black hair till mid forties and have decided to go grey naturally. This 'friend' is sixty, has short highlighted fair hair and also stated that 'long hair in older women makes them look older'.  I have long hair, often put it up and like that style.  I politely thanked her for her opinion to which she retorted 'Just go and get your bl**dy hair done!'  Other friends have said that my hair suits me...they're chilled.

She has also said 'you're too thin. Eat more!'  I'm very fit, lightboned and all recent blood tests come out top. My doctor says I'm in great shape.  This woman is always trying to lose a few kg.I felt bullied, disrespected and very uncomfortable.  Is it rude to tell someone what to do with their hair?

well instead of saying that they're grey hair doesn't suit them, just suggest trying new colors . 

• Jack

This belongs in mental health or psychology, really isn't about hair. You answered your own question, obviously you wouldn't be upset if she wasn't being rude. It sounds like maybe she is your only friend and your afraid to give her the boot. Is it possible she is jealous of your looks, maybe you can rock gray hair and she has to go for a high maintenence look so she is giving you a backhanded compliment to feel better. I'm at a point where if a friend said this I'd talk to them directly or cut them off. If this happened when I had one friend who I didn't see was using me, I would have kept his friendship, but having that experience ill tell you this is where things start to go downhill, you just won't realize it until later.

• kelvin

yes..................

1st- yes it's super rude to tell anyone how they should wear their own damn hair! 

If it's on my head, and that head is on my body- then whoever is unhappy with any of it can kiss the crack on the rump, that's connected to the body that's connected to the head that grows the lovely gray locks.  

ill say dgaf, that makes u happy right

• e9601:

Is she a good friend? Or just a friendly? Let it go, it's no ones business anyway.

All her comments are rude. You can shut them down by flatly refusing to answer any of them she makes in the future--just tell her "my appearance is none of your concern. In the future, please refrain from making comments about me."  And stick to it. Don't argue or debate it. Just keep saying and repeating that. 

• LM440

This entire fiasco is the obvious result of imposing unsolicited on others.  If someone asks feel free to respond but tread lightly.  The safest route is just to direct you opinions to what is you and only yours.  Hopefully, she figured this out in retrospect.

• Sathi

Your friend has issues. I work with a few women who are 55+ years old. They are very attractive, with beautiful grey hair. Because they are nurses, they wear it up. The natural color looks great.

• jean

maybe don't see her too much